The Horse Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am headed to Missoula for school next week from Oregon and for now am keeping my horse in Portland. I want to bring him to Montana eventually and, due to lack of finding a good lease situation for him here, I am seriously considering moving him sooner rather than later.

What are some tips for advertising a lease, finding a good leasee, and managing that relationship long distance (as I will be at school and he will be in OR)? Do you think it would be better to move him to Montana and find him a lease there? I would think there would be other college students who would love to lease him--but then there is the issue that they might be flakey... the girl who was leasing him quit after only 2 months.

Any tips or advice would be wonderful! Either comment here or message me.

Thank you!!

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Is your horse boarded or otherwise "supervised" in your absence, or will you be completely screwed if the leasee walks away? Do you have/know a trainer with students looking for a lease horse? Are you affiliated with any show organizations or local clubs where you can advertise your horse?

Before I bought my current horse, I leased a horse I found on Craigslist. The owner talked with me on the phone to gauge my initial horsey knowledge, had me ride the horse in the roundpen to verify my skills, then took me on a trail ride to see my real world ability. Owner was local and still able to feed her own horses if I wasn't out there.

Many years ago I leased out my own show horse while I attended to college. She went to a girl recommended by my trainer, and the horse moved to said girl's house with the knowledge they'd continue with weekly lessons with my trainer. I wouldn't have been comfortable leaving the state with my horse's life in the hands of a complete stranger. For what it's worth, I sold this horse by my sophomore year - being apart allowed me to distance myself enough that I could see how impractical it was to keep her and potentially limit my ability to follow job prospects after graduation.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts