The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never given a horse a bath but I would like to give Miss Lulu a bath soon. Her mane and tail have a lot of dirt build up and her tail has lots of dandruff. I have a bunch of Cowboy Magic products and would love to give her a nice bath. Any tips for bathing a horse? I'm not planning to bathe her often, just a couple of times a year.

·
Super Moderator
12,860 Posts
See how she acts around a water hose first. Especially summer most appreciate water to play in. If she is ok with the hose then grab a bucket, add your shampoo and start with a good scrub. You can use a rag, a wash glove or sponge to soap them up.

·
Super Moderator
14,940 Posts
Sponge the face...not spray water at it and never in a straight stream to the facial area..
Many horses do not like water sprayed on their face, they tolerate it but not "like" it...
Sponge the face and ears yes, that many enjoy and do pay special attention to where the skin folds of the ears are, poll and browband as they get sticky from sweat and itch.
I use minimal amounts of any shampoo or cleanser product on my horses face...just a clean wet sponge mostly.
Many products make much lather...and it needs rinsed completely or skin reaction and discomfort to the horse happen.
Small amount of product...wash and put some elbow work into rubbing then a cool rinse off from poll to toes applying carefully to underside of mane and tail to rinse all off.
A nice warm day and when you get wet too from the sprayback it feels great!!
:runninghorse2:...

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Start at her feet and work your way up -- don't just spray her torso first. Absolutely don't spray her face. Mine don't even like their upper necks being sprayed. Use lower pressure than you think you need, as you can sort of pinch the spray to make it harder if you want, but some horses don't like the pressure, especially on their neck and up. Definitely see how she is with the hose first -- try rubbing it on her and her legs. Some horses are cross-tied for baths, some just tied, some held. Some will stand still because they actually like it. Make sure the weather is warm enough. If it's cooler, sweat scrape her and also towel dry at least the parts where there are muscles.

Don't let any pigeons land nearby. :wink:

·
Registered
14,844 Posts
Pick a hot day and wear a tank top and shorts. Hose her all down good, warm water if you have it, get a bucket of soapy water, whatever shampoo you have, a sponge and a brush. I have a brush/sponge combo, scrub her up, rinse thoroughly, one side at a time. I use a wet cloth on the face, and a fine mist spray. I do the tail separately, soak, scrub it, rinse then condition. I don't condition the mane because I am usually braiding or banding but if you're not you can. I give the horse one more thorough rinse and then I go over it with a rubber sweat scraper. Done, tie horse up til they are dry so they don't roll, then I change into some dry clothes. Don't know if the link works, but this the spray wand I use.
https://images.app.goo.gl/9fHBJcaEp4aRkqcy5

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
This post should be titled "how to give my horse AND I a bath" coz yo, you're gonna get bathed too xD edit: I used to hose down after a ride but also shampoo my own hair, soaking wet clothes (spare set after). I would basically have a shower myself and even scrub my armpits. I'd throw a towel over katie and towel myself and then on go my sandals and I'd scrape her down. I wish I could do that at new yard...

If you're using warm water what a luxury. Not a big deal but will warn you - my horse gets extra p***y if I accidentally hose down her, um, bottom with cold water. Just watch where you put your head when rubbing under the belly or inside hind legs. In fact, get a dry sponge and just rub her all over to see any bits she's more alert with. I flannel her face myself. For example, my mare would NOT let me clean her sweaty teats in the beginning to the point she'd try to swipe my arm away with her back leg.

Also I don't recommend washing face with a hose but this video will help you understand a little of how to make them more tolerant:

So when they are shuffing around keep the hose on them. When they stand still, take the hose off. Really, I wouldn't have your first bath blasting her in the face but you get the point, you can at least use the same technique on her neck/legs etc. So they learn soon that standing still just makes it go away faster. ENJOY ^>^ ...

.. also pls include picture of the immediate roll in the dirt and stable 2 minutes after you release her! haha!

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
TNot a big deal but will warn you - my horse gets extra p***y if I accidentally hose down her, um, bottom with cold water. Just watch where you put your head when rubbing under the belly or inside hind legs....

Ha ha, my mare hates getting hosed down, or tolerates it barely after a sweat-inducing ride. But washing between her legs with cold water??? You would think she saw heaven the first time I actually managed to wash her :biggrin: Now she is moving her legs out of the way to "help" and her face is priceless :rofl: With our hot, humid climate it must be itchy most of the time...

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
.. also pls include picture of the immediate roll in the dirt and stable 2 minutes after you release her! haha!
Ah yes, the post-bath roll. I turn mine out into the sand arena after I bathe them so they can roll in there. The sand can just be brushed off. Unlike "mud" from the pasture.

·
Registered
17,323 Posts
Wear clothes that can get dirty (I mean, you'll be at the barn so you probably already have that covered). Start low, at her feet and legs. See how she does...then work your way up, gently. Use a soft setting on the nozzle. Get a good shampoo.

I use a sponge & a scrubbing glove. & then I sweat-scrape her, making sure she's not dripping anywhere. Then I usually just hangout with her, let her graze while she dries. I never towel-dry, although some people prefer that.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you for all the responses. Lulu has been getting rinsed off after riding. My trainer said at first Lulu hated it but she seems to be tolerating it now. Choosing a warm day isn't a problem. Our spring temperatures are what most people consider extremely hot! And our ground water is not very cold so the water coming out of the hose isn't making her chilly. She doesn't like the water close to her face. Today, her face was dirty so I just wiped it down with a small terrycloth towel. By the way, when I first got her she wouldn't tolerate a cloth coming near her face so every time I groomed her I would have a small towel and would quickly wipe near her face. She is now very good about letting me clean her face. Today she had some goop in her eye and allowed me to take the cloth and gently wipe it over her eye.

@Kalraii I will remember to bring a change of clothing and something other then my riding boots!

@ACinATX The rolling! One of the first times I rinsed Lulu off after a ride I asked the trainer when I could put her back in her stall. She said if I didn't mind Lulu rolling and getting dirty I could put her away wet. If I wanted a cleaner horse I should wait until Lulu was dry. Good call about the sand arena. I'll make sure she is completely dry and then let her out in the round pen or the arena so if she wants to roll it will be in the sand.

On a side note, when we built our house I asked my husband to give me a couple of outdoor faucets with hot water so we have one in the backyard and one in the front. Our winters are not that cold and it was so nice to wash the car with warm water in the bucket (and not have to bring it from inside the house). Also, we used to have a German Shepherd and it was nice to have warm water to bathe him outside in the winter. Another plus was when my daughter was a toddler and wanted to play in her kiddie pool. The outside temperature was warm enough but the water was a bit chilly. My husband used to get so exasperated. "You're putting bath water in her pool!" Um, yes, I just got 45 minutes to read my book in peace while the small person splashed around.

·
Registered
26 Posts
But washing between her legs with cold water??? You would think she saw heaven the first time I actually managed to wash her :biggrin: Now she is moving her legs out of the way to "help" and her face is priceless :rofl: With our hot, humid climate it must be itchy most of the time...
This is absolutely hilarious :rofl: glad she enjoys it hahahaha

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.