The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so the biting gnats and flies are ALREADY starting to get ridiculous in my area. It was 20 degrees outside a week ago and now it's 80 so the bugs are DEFINITELY out to play...and play hard!! My horses already have bites in their ears and the goopy eyes from flies. They also HATE their fly masks and I spend more time tramping through the field searching for them than they do on their faces. Does anyone have any home remedies, fly control methods, products or old wives' tales, etc about fly protection especially around the face and ears? I think since it's the season this would be a good thread for just about anyone as well. So POST AWAY!! Please :lol:

·
Registered
847 Posts
I stew some garlic in some apple cider vinegar, and put it in a spray bottle. I apply it before a ride, and it works great! They smell like an Italian restaurant, though.

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
They smell like an Italian restaurant, though.
That made me laugh. XD I spray OFF bug spray on a rag, and rub it on the ears and face, and it works ten times better than bug repellent for horses. And from what i've researched and experienced, it's perfectly safe. :]
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
My horses get fed garlic & ACV. Bye bye bugs! Haha

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
I have to say that the fly predators really seemed to work when I tried them out last year.

The other good thing to know is that when you pick fly control products you need to look for ones that contain permethrines rather than pyrethrins. Pyrethrines are broken down more quickly by sunlight and sweat. Permethrines stand up to environmental conditions longer thus they can be effective for up to a couple of weeks after appropriate application.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.