The Horse Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I work for a woman near me who owns an older gelding, and she has two boarders in addition to him at this tiny little barn on a few acres. As we all know, shedding season has begun (at least it has where I am) and the horses are dying of itchiness. Flies have also started to become a problem, and I'm finding that I have a few things to look into.

1. How do I go about getting the loose hair out of the bristles?
ALL of the soft and dandy brushes my boss owns are full of horse hair and dust. I know how to deep clean brushes to get rid of dust, but It just doesn't work with the horse hair stuck in the brushes still (I've already made that mistake once). I'm not sure how to get the horse hair out of the bristles so I can give them a good cleaning. They look like they haven't been cleaned since last year at least.
2. How do you brush of facial shedding?
One of the horses there is constantly scratching his forehead on everyone and everything. I started taking a soft brush to his face, basically scrubbing his forehead with it, and then carefully brushing it off of his face without getting it in his eyes. Is there a better way?
3. Could someone give me a recipe on how to make my own fly spray? Would it actually be cheaper to just buy regular fly spray bottles without making my own?
I've found lots of recipes online, but they all require this one brand of something or other that ends up making the whole recipe more than it would cost to just buy some plain fly spray.

·
Registered
7,327 Posts
It has begun!

Just my opinion based on the brushes I have:

1) I use a long toothed single row comb to try to pull the hair before washing or soaking.
Honestly this time of year I stick to the shedding blade, jelly curry (more on that in a bit), rubber curry and an older synthetic dandy.
I don't use my nice brushes during shedding season.

2) I love the flexible jelly curries. The have a fine tooth on one side and cubbies on the other. The softer ones are soft enough for the face and get the itchiness out on the face.

3) I haven't found homemade flyspray to be overly effective. Not much better than the cheap Bronco flyspray.
I will admit the list is short of the recipes. I've tried the Dawn dishsoap, vinegar, water and a few of the Avon Skin So Soft recipes. I'd just assume buy it.

·
Registered
10,565 Posts
Ditto cowchick’s suggestion for hair removal, if all you have are brushes:)

I use a Furminator on the meaty parts of the body. I also have a dog shedding mitt that works very well but can be tough to get the hair out. I use a brush primarily for their manes, this time of year.

For their faces, I have palm -sized mini brushes I bought at Tractor Supply. Or the dotted gloves TSC sells are fantastic for rubbing faces and gently sticking a couple of dotted gloved diners in their ears for a light massage:)

Or you can google “dotted gloves” and get better quality gloves in pack on line:).

I have machine washed and put them in the drier over and over and over, and they still have their dots:)

Reactions: COWCHICK77

·
Super Moderator
14,705 Posts
I use a shed-n-blade, simple plain no teeth one side so a water scraper & the other side is small fine teeth that just peel hair and with a gentle shake it falls off to the ground.
It opens up by slipping the handle out of the clip....flexible it is too. IF you use carefully and with very gentle pressure you can go to the knee/hock of the horse and I've done everything but lower their and the actual nosebone of the horses face...
I use my fingers and a soft curry below the knee/hock for that hair removal...I also don't shed my guys a ton down their as we do through blackberry brambles riding sometimes this time of year and the extra hair is what gets caught not them...
I've tried a lot of things, gimmicks and hyped this works great...:icon_rolleyes:..some good, many not...yet I keep going back to my shed-n-blade...
This is what my tool of choice is.... around $6.00 from Stateline Tack. Mine is so old it has a leather handle and keeper strap.

My horses line up when they see me coming with this tool....48 years of horses and shedding season and keep going back to this one...
You can hear the sigh of "this feels so good" when removing the layers of hair loose...
Not only do the horses like the hair loss, my feathered friends, the wild birds, love the soft nest building material to line their babies to come homes with...
Not much goes to waste when Mother Nature is involved.
:runninghorse2:....

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I work for a woman near me who owns an older gelding, and she has two boarders in addition to him at this tiny little barn on a few acres. As we all know, shedding season has begun (at least it has where I am) and the horses are dying of itchiness. Flies have also started to become a problem, and I'm finding that I have a few things to look into.

1. How do I go about getting the loose hair out of the bristles?
ALL of the soft and dandy brushes my boss owns are full of horse hair and dust. I know how to deep clean brushes to get rid of dust, but It just doesn't work with the horse hair stuck in the brushes still (I've already made that mistake once). I'm not sure how to get the horse hair out of the bristles so I can give them a good cleaning. They look like they haven't been cleaned since last year at least.
2. How do you brush of facial shedding?
One of the horses there is constantly scratching his forehead on everyone and everything. I started taking a soft brush to his face, basically scrubbing his forehead with it, and then carefully brushing it off of his face without getting it in his eyes. Is there a better way?
3. Could someone give me a recipe on how to make my own fly spray? Would it actually be cheaper to just buy regular fly spray bottles without making my own?
I've found lots of recipes online, but they all require this one brand of something or other that ends up making the whole recipe more than it would cost to just buy some plain fly spray.
I always like to soak the brushes in Warm water and a little vingigar mabey one or two times. Get a sponge and Srub really good with it.

I really love these things called shedding blocks. They get all the hair out and does not hurt the horse. I belive you can find them on amazon. You can use them on the horses face.

What You Will Need

1 cups White vinegar
2 cups Water
1/2 cup Spray On Sunscreen
50 drops Citronella oil
25 drops Lemongrass essential oil
25 drops Peppermint essential oil
20 drops Lavender essential oil
2 Tablespoons Dr. Bronner’s liquid soap
32 oz Spray bottle (I used a empty fly spray bottle I already had)
What You Will Do

Add all ingredients to your spray bottle. Shake well and apply

1 - 6 of 6 Posts