The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I wanted to know everyones opinions and experiences on tail bags.

I have a Dun Quarter Horse and I have a tail bag on at the moment. I soak in oil and right it vet wrap and then put the bag on,but I have noticed some broken hairs where it tires into his tail. He has an extremely long tail right now, it touches the ground, plus we have 2 feet of snow on the ground. It needs to fill out more too, because it thinner at the end. I guess I'm just worried he is going to step on it. I need his tail this length because of his tail set. I hear that you should not use them in the summer months due to them swatting at flies that causes breakage.I have heard good things about the braid in ones but i never see anyone using them.

So tell me what you think!

·
Registered
211 Posts
my suggestion is to not use the vet wrap or oil. the vet wrap doesn't let it breath and the oil is fine in moderation but i wouldn't use it unless you can wash the oil out weekly. it will build up and may cause problem. i use infusium leave in hair treatment from the store (human) and braid it and put a tube sock over it. i re-do as needed, usually 1x a week. both of my horses have great thick tails, no need for extentions. hope this helps some

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
I dont use a tail bag, I just use vet wrap. I condition it, braid it, loop it up and then vet wrap it.

I used a braid in tail bag before and I always had a tough time with it. Either it would fall out the next day, or a few days would go by and it was droopy.

I vetwrapped my horses' tails like 3 months ago. Not only did it grow in length, but they all got thicker (I have 2 apps and 1 qh)

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I try to take it out every so often and give a good brushing and then leave it out for a while to breathe. I just washed it today and put some of that Sante Fe spray in conditioner in it. Yea the oil is real messy too. I didn't really like it. It made it all greasy. I read it somewhere though so I though I would give a try.

·
Registered
610 Posts
i use the braid in tail wraps - they are really good and i have never had a problem with breakage. just was, conditition LET DRY then braid away. I have found over the years that if you braid them in wet, the hair can rot and break off if you dont tend to it often. although i have been know to leave the braid wrap in for around a month in the off season so it is important that it is prepaired right to avoid any irritation to your horse.
tail wrap2.jpg
tail wrap3.jpg

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i use the braid in tail wraps - they are really good and i have never had a problem with breakage. just was, conditition LET DRY then braid away. I have found over the years that if you braid them in wet, the hair can rot and break off if you dont tend to it often. although i have been know to leave the braid wrap in for around a month in the off season so it is important that it is prepaired right to avoid any irritation to your horse.
View attachment 3514
View attachment 3515
Thanks I think I'm going to try them out. Any advice about putting them in or is it self explaintory?

·
Registered
610 Posts
Thanks I think I'm going to try them out. Any advice about putting them in or is it self explaintory?
pretty easy to work out when you have them in your hand.... there is 3 sections, wrap a piece of the braid in each bit and you will work it out :lol:

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
The only time I brush my horse's tail is before shows and only after it is washed and conditioned. The rest of the time he goes au naturale. He has a really thick tail and I also take off about 3-4 inches every 3 months or so. No problems, just leave it alone.

·
Registered
610 Posts
The only time I brush my horse's tail is before shows and only after it is washed and conditioned. The rest of the time he goes au naturale. He has a really thick tail and I also take off about 3-4 inches every 3 months or so. No problems, just leave it alone.
this will work fine if your horse is blessed with a naturally great tail but most horses are not so lucky and DO require maintenance to make their locks shine...... :shock::p

·
Registered
594 Posts
I wash my horses's tail and then use a detangler on it. Let it dry and then I braid it, below the dock of course. Then I slather conditioner all over the braid and I either use a tube sock or a tail bag and fold the tail up in the bag/sock and then weave the ties through the braid and tie them in a knot. I leave it in for a few weeks then I take the tail down for about a week and let it breath and then it goes right back up. Works really well.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
You shouldn't brush your horses tail at all. You should apply a detangler and then pick apart the hairs a few at a time. It doesn't take as long as you'd think. Brushing causes breakage.. braiding too tight also causes breakage.

I prefer shampoo, condition let dry.. braid and loop and wrap with vet wrap and then wrap the closing with duct tape to make sure it stays. I've had mine in for almost 2 months. I do this for the cold months since I cant wash them as much. I also rub MTG about once a week on their tail bones.. Their tails have improved soooooo much.

In the summer I do the same thing but just cover with a tube sock.

·
Registered
13,266 Posts
Hate them, would never use one. I find it more of a risk if they catch their tale because now way more hair is going to be pulled out. When the bag gets wait it takes a long time for it to dry which you wouldnt have an issue with had you let the tail out of it. Gives one more thing for other pasture mates to play with, once again not a good thing.

I have had far more success growing out and protecting tails by letting them be than to use artificial means.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks this is all very helpful!

Does anyone that uses them have a problem with breakage where the bag ties into the braid?

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
View attachment 3514
View attachment 3515
i use those as well! love it and i have a hot pink one so its even better! :lol:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.