The Horse Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

im just making this post so I’ll know for the future

im debating about clipping my guy this winter, thoughts?
(im going to ask my trainer too)

He’s getting worked everyday, though once winter hits it may not be everyday.

He already is growing a thick winter coat, and he’s getting worked about 30 mins to an hour everyday, sometimes an hour and a half depending what we do.

im hoping to work him the same amount in the winter, but I know he’ll have days off.

he’s already superrrrr fuzzy, like teddy bear fluffy, I’m already being extra careful and making sure he’s fully cooled off so he won’t over heat and colic, I just walk him some after I work him, let him get a tad of water, spray him off, walk him more and then put him out in the field, sometimes I’ll let him drink the water from the hose when im spraying him off.

but he has a really thin coat in the summer, most people think I clip him already, but he gets pretty fuzzy in the winter, sometimes he sweats so I usually have to keep a medium weight blanket on him, he’ll sweat with a heavy weight unless there’s snow on the ground.

last year I had to keep a medium to light weight blanket on him until it snowed I put on the heavy weight and he was fine.

he also has thin skin and is sensitive, I don’t think he’s ever been clipped, and he’s had rain rot in the past, so I’m super careful with anything with his skin.

thoughts? Opinions?

·
Registered
16,325 Posts
Unless you intend to get involved in the blanketing game (sheet, midweight, heavy weight, back to sheet, sheet with light weight, midweight with lightweight and a few other combos I can't think of, on/off, on/off), he's a heavy sweat-er, he grows a coat like an alpaca and sweats real heavily, then I don't recommend it. If you clip you HAVE to blanket and he'll need some kind of shelter. If he grows the kind of coat that he soaks when he sweats and you have to hand walk him for several hours to just get him mostly dry, I just wouldn't clip in winter.

·
Super Moderator
15,945 Posts
If he has a thick winter coat then why are you blanketing? Either clip and blanket or leave him alone. He has shelter or a wind break doesn't he?

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If he has a thick winter coat then why are you blanketing? Either clip and blanket or leave him alone. He has shelter or a wind break doesn't he?
Yeah he does have a shelter, it’s basically a stall.
well this year he seems to have more winter coat coming in then last year, but he’s finally healthy this year so im guessing he’ll get more winter coat than last.

·
Administrator
37,086 Posts
If you don’t clip and you’re concerned about rain rot but also worried that he’s going to be too warm in mid weight blankets then invest in rain sheets and 100gm blankets for outdoors when he’s going to be exposed to wet weather for long periods.

·
Super Moderator
17,830 Posts
I have a rain sheet for him!
Now to me a rain sheet is for a showing experience where I don't want my saddle, me or the horse to get wet...

A turnout sheet is for inclement weather in a turnout situation...
I concern myself with the body staying dry. I don't do extended necks except on stable blankets keeping my horse sleek and slick for winter showing..

A huge difference seen for me in what you have and how its used and why.
The first picture to me is a rain sheet...
The second picture is a t/o {turnout} sheet....
The third picture is why a rain sheet as pictured will not suit the need in a t/o setting...
Horse Tire Wheel Automotive design Asphalt
Sleeve Sportswear Electric blue Human leg Fashion accessory
Horse Working animal Liver Horse supplies Terrestrial animal

I find this thing below to restrictive for the horse to really let it out and run as mine do...
🐴... Sky Horse Plant Working animal Halter

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Now to me a rain sheet is for a showing experience where I don't want my saddle, me or the horse to get wet...

A turnout sheet is for inclement weather in a turnout situation...
I concern myself with the body staying dry. I don't do extended necks except on stable blankets keeping my horse sleek and slick for winter showing..

A huge difference seen for me in what you have and how its used and why.
The first picture to me is a rain sheet...
The second picture is a t/o {turnout} sheet....
The third picture is why a rain sheet as pictured will not suit the need in a t/o setting...
View attachment 1135584 View attachment 1135585 View attachment 1135586

I find this thing below to restrictive for the horse to really let it out and run as mine do...
🐴... View attachment 1135588
Ok so I have a turnout sheet for him then..
I always call a rain sheet and a turnout sheet the same thing, lol, thanks for clearing that up for me.

·
Super Moderator
27,671 Posts
I have never body clipped. I don't like the way it looks but also don't see the need. My horses will get fuzzy. I do have stalls but I don't use them unless I have to. I'll open them up during the summer for flies and then in the winter I'll let them in at night if it's yuck. I do blanket but normally when it's going to be raining, sleeting, snowing, etc. If it's just cold - they are fine unless it's freezing cold...

I'll show a fuzzy horse. I don't mind. If my horse gets sweaty when I ride then I'll give a good grooming and stall.

Reactions: baysfordays

·
Registered
15,176 Posts
I bodyclipped once before winter. I had to be very diligent about checking on his blankets and hoods. His coat looked pretty funny when it grew in the Spring for about 2 weeks. Was great for riding, he never sweat, which they will do if left fuzzy. If I don't body clip which I don't anymore, I have to watch how much I ride otherwise I spend too much time cooling out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts