The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My horse has turned 16 years old and the insurance company has dropped his major medical. They will now only cover him for mortality, surgical (up to $5000) and additional $2500 for colic surgery at a cost of $260 a year. This will not cover any after surgical care.

I am debating if I should continue insuring him. It seems like a good thing still and I am just wondering how many agree , disagree and why. Thanks

I can't believe that 16 is considered old.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
If I had the money, I would definately insure my horse. Personally I think that it is still a good idea to have the colic and mortality covered at least. I have a friend who's horse at about 16 years of age colicked, and they had to take him to get emergency surgery. I believe that her horse was insured for colic, and it was a life saver for her and her family to be able to have help financially so they could do the surgery and save his life. Even if the chance is very small that anything will happen, for instance, the horse has never been sick a day in his life, it is still a good thing to have as backup, in case the worst does happen.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.