The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My POA has problems growing a mane. It's like 2 inches long until like 1/5 of the way up his neck, then it's normal length (I'd say a good 8") but with some short hairs that still stick up. With upcoming shows, I want him to look good and put together. I'm aware that the common western horse length of mane is like 4"-5".. I'm afraid if I pull his mane that short it will stick straight up. I'm unsure of what to do because it looks goofy the way it is... but I don't want to pull it short and it be ugly because his mane grows like .001 inches a year :lol:
The second thing I'm wondering about is banding... How in the world would bands work on this mane :?
Any advice on what I should do to clean this little horse up? :)
here's some pics

·
Registered
131 Posts
I can't give you any specific help because I can't see too well with those photos.
But one thing you may want to consider is simply roaching his mane (shaving it all off). POA's have the similar issues with Appaloosas that they often have thin manes and tails. While you may have a hard time deciding whether or not to part with his hair, a lot of horses look better with no mane than a scrawny one.

·
Registered
13,266 Posts
Really hard to see in the pictures what the mane looked like. If it is uneven I would suggest roaching and letting it grow back in so it becomes nice and even.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Not a fan of roaching, nor pulling to be truthful. The horse's mane is there for a specific purpose for the horse itself, even if it's irregular. Our human desires/show world have caused them enough, I'd say. (My bay Morgan, with a very high pedigree has a mane like what you describe, and I wouldn't disturb its natural growth for the world!) I'd never do it, personally, and consider the affect it would cause for your horse to do without it suddenly. It's there for a reason. :)

·
Registered
6,044 Posts
it looks like it was roached and is growing out. I would clip a bridle path, and clean up the rest of the mane. you could leave some mane but make it even , one length. if the shortest is one inch clip the rest to one inch. or just take it all the way down.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Roaching looks really sharp in my opinion, but I agree think it usually should be a last result because the mane does protect the horse from sun, bugs, etc. If you are showing english I would leave it if there is enough hair that you can braid into little hunter braids. Your other options would be gel or hairspray to hold the hairs down. From the pictures it looks like there is enough to braid but you'd have to try it. I would NOT trim it with scissors to even it up. Roaching is probably the easiest option. Try braiding (if english) or hairspray gel. Play around with it, take some picture, and post them, and then ask people again what they think.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I see now you said western. You could try to french braid the short hairs down to where you want to band. Think corn rows. lol. You would stand on side you want the mane start at the base on the side furthest from you and get a small amount to start and french braid towards you. It will help hold the little hairs and guide stubborn hairs to the band and then you would not continue the braid, just have hair below the band like a ponytail. Again I would do little if any scissor trimming to the length of the mane unless certain banded grouping are a huge amount longer.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I would use actual scissors to cut it to one length (probably longer than 4", if you are concerned it won't lie flat), then go back and point cut (cut straight up into the hair) to create a thicker and more natural look. Banding or braiding starting before the show can help to train the mane to lie down/all to the same side. Just make sure to comb and pull the mane downward as you are adding the elastics, otherwise they will stand up.

Pulling his mane will only make it thinner, which is not needed with most POA's or appy's!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.