The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this is my new little Tolken. I went and checked out both babies. The female was ultra bitey and seemed very upset with my holding her. The male was much easier to handle is really seems to enjoy being around me. Hes a bit nippy but I think hes also going through his "puppy" stage so hopefully with a bit of handling and discipline he will cut that part out. Hes already improving! =D

I THINK hes trying to talk already too! At 8 weeks! He does his chirps and squawks but every once in a while he kinda starts this whispery raspy sound like hes trying to sound out a word but hasn't gotten it yet. He did it while I had him over at my step-mom's and shes 100% certain hes trying to speak. How cool is that? =D

So, after picking him up around 7ish I got to my step-moms house just after 8pm. We clipped his wings and nails and worked on "step up" a bit. Hes actually catching on very quickly already! I really think hes going to be a quick learner =D

Another cool thing, my step-mom GAVE me her extra cage! Yay! That saves me money and time trying to hunt one down. Personally I think its plenty large enough for the little guy.

So, I loaded up the cage and made it home around 9:30ish. Poor little Tolken. I don't think hes ever been up this late. Lol he fell asleep on the ride home.

Hes fallen off of the bars on his cage a few times. Is that just a normal clutzy baby?

Anyway, her is Tolken and his awesome new cage!

Tired baby

His old cage for size comparison!

Attachments

·
Registered
627 Posts
Congrats on youe new fid. :)

Depending on how young he is, yes it is normal for him to be a bit clutzy. You might want to move his perches closer to the bottom for a little bit until his perching improves some.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hes 8 weeks. =/ Yeah i'll have to do it tomorrow. I'll move his happy hut to the bottom as well so he can snuggle into it at night.

Argh I'm finding it very difficult to do things in my room (such as feed my cat) without getting a squeek out of him. =/ hes supposed to be sleeping!

·
Registered
627 Posts
Aw, don't worry, he'll settle in to your routine soon. He's sooooo cute btw.

And boy to GCC's love those happy huts! I had to finally go replace Tatu's yesterday because after two years he was starting to pull the fibres out on the inside. It's so adorable when they use it...although my bird is a retard and I still catch him sleeping whilst doing the splits on the inside of his tent, head jammed up in the top. lol

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Aww. He's cute :)
I have conures, too! Three of them; two Nanday, one Sun.
The youngest one we had was 11 weeks and he was still clumsy too, but the grow out of before you know it! I will have to upload some pictures later.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Haha that would be cool =D. Yeah he seems to really love attention! he follows me around in his cage when i'm walking around the room. When I came home from classes today he hopped right down and ran for his cage door to meet me.

Hes really getting good with stepping up in such a short amount of time! =D

Right now hes munching on my hair =/ not so sure how healthy that is for him lol.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Mine likes to do that, too.
Does yours lick?
All four of my birds do that, but I don't know why.
Also, its the perfect time to start teaching them to talk. so dont wait too long.
Mine likes to follow me too, except he can fly so sometimes I will be sitting there and end up witha bird on my head, because that is where he prefers to perch.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Here they are.
Tiki, my Sun Conure:

Digit, one of my Nanday Conures:

Ashley, a Moluccan Cockatoo:

Just The Nandays:
Digit(Left) Rico (Right)

All The Conures:
(l-r) Digit, Tiki, Rico

(l-r) Digit, Rico, Tiki

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Congrats Lucara !
I would move his perches closer to the bottom as mentioned, since he is abit clutzy and doesnt really know how to perch well, it will prevent injuries,
His cage looks great ! It really sounds like you enjoy him, and dont mind the clingyness lol the breed is nick named 'velcro parrots'
They are cute, and when he bites just dont give him a reaction or anything, because that is what they are looking for, just keep the same voice, facial expressions and no pulling back or 'ow' and you will be fine ! :)

He is preening your hair, and cinder does that alot of me, as long as you dont have any product's in your hair such as hair gel, it would be fine.. i keep my hair 100% natural because cinder loves to preen my hair.
do not use hairspray... it is bad for there respritory system, if you did your homework i take that you will be completely fine !

Hope to hear more about him :D He is a cutie ;) and Time certainly does fly.

Also, GCC's dont learn to talk until they are about 8 months, but some learn to talk earlier and some are late bloomers, but parrots actually never learn to talk ! just be patient and it will eventually come to him :)

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Parrots never learn to talk?

My step-mom's Quaker Parrot was a very clear talker. He could sing Old McDonald, say "I'm a Quaker", count to 10, say he was a good little singer or a good little counter. He said Mommy, Night night, Gooseberries, and sing the witch doctor song but it was kinda hit and miss on that one.

Her Senegal Parrots are also fairly clear talkers.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
It is very rare that some parrots dont learn to talk, but it is true and some never do talk.
some are late bloomers for talking and some learn to talk early.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A video and a few pictures I took of Tolken today. Hes such a little love bug! I'm not sure how quickly they grasp things at 8 weeks but hes really catching on fast!

Here he is with the "Come Here" command and I used my finger wiggle as a visual command. He gets ADD half way through but comes all the way to me!

I had a video of him head bobbing when I bobbed my head but he didn't do it but a time or two for the video and I was bobbing the camera at the same time LOL so it was hard to catch. I've decided not to load that one in hopes of catching a better one.

It all just kind of surprises me how much hes picking up. His previous owners handled him minimally and said he didn't know how to step up. Hes already stepping up like a champ!

Here are a few pics from today.

He was helping me cut up his veggies for him. He kinda piddled around with the carrots but was not impressed by lettuce.

Hehe my little love bug <3

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Awww so cute !
Also wanted to add, that lettuce is a fun thing to add, but it doesnt have a very high nutritional value, Its healthy but doesnt give them much nutritional wise ;)
Cinder loves carrot :D

·
Registered
627 Posts
GCCs are also not particularly known for their talking ability. Mine says "Thankyou" but that's about it, lol. If you're having issues getting him to eat his veggies, try making them more palatable by adding chopped up bits to some freshly-made oatmeal, or you can always bake up some delicious birdie bread. Other veggies that might go down better than lettuce could be broccoli, peppers, squash, kale, etc.. I've also met some birds who preferred having their fresh food served to them as a mash, you might want try that...good luck!

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm not overly worried about the veggies to be honest. I'm not sure hes ever had them since hes only been weaned for 2 weeks. Basically I'm just trying to give him a variety of things so that hes exposed to as much as possible. Its not his staple diet so everything else i give him is just more for a variety so he doesn't get bored with the pellets lol

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
It is important to give him his veggies and fruit, if he doesnt like the lettuce, than i wouldnt really worry about it and move onto finding things that he does like.
You give veggies and pellets everyday, with fruit if you choose, but i give fruit only 2 times a week On tuesday's and thursdays. Because fruit makes the poop watery.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.