Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all ,

Can any one advise why a horse would put its tongue over a bit ?

We have a 4yr old gelding who has only just started putting his tongue over his bit when he is riden we have changed his bit bit he still does it

·
Registered
9,694 Posts
Some horses just like to do that especially if they are not used to packing a bit. Most times just tightening up the headstall a notch will work.

·
Registered
17 Posts
When I first took on Papillon he had a reputation for doing that. In fact, the loaner before me had put him in a hackamore but I didn't like it and I don't believe he was keen either, so he now back in a snaffle.

We've discussed this a lot at the yard and have come to the conclusion that he now does it purely from habit. I find that he plays about, sticking his tongue over the top and pulling silly faces for a few minutes then eventually settles down.

But he's not officially mine anymore as my loan ended the other day! :sad:

·
Registered
280 Posts
Bit can be too low. Also if tounge is big and bit is too big for mouth they will try and put it over to avoid the uncomfortablness of the bit.

·
Registered
37,004 Posts
Sometimes young horses do that when they are getting used to the bit. Putting it in the correct spot in the mouth can help.
Tightening a nose band, and possibly using flash noseband too, will stop the horse from playing with his tongue and bit too much.
Some as said, will do this to evade rider's hands.

If nothing works, even changing to a similar, but different bit, there are bits for tongue tossers..

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
It can't hurt to have his teeth checked, though I wouldn't think that is causing the problems.

If the bridle is as far up as it goes and it's still too loose then you need a bridle that fits better. Can you post pictures of your horse in the bridle? Also, What kind of bit are you using on him?

I have experienced a tongue over the bit with two different horses, one was when the bridle was too loose and I somehow didn't notice right away. The other was with my mare in a single jointed snaffle. She would constantly play with the bit and flip her tongue over it. Once I tried a double jointed snaffle that habit stopped (along with some others). She just didn't find the single jointed comfortable. Each horse is unique in what they like in their mouth.

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
Can you share a picture of him with the bit in? If the bit is too big, this could also be a problem. Some horses don't like a single jointed snaffle and, due to the angle, they are relatively easy to get the tongue over unless you turn the horse into the joker by pulling the bit up really high.

Generally speaking, I agree with the thinking that this type of problem usually stems from one of two problems: 1) some form of discomfort for the horse, whether it be due to a rider with poor hands, an improperly fitting bit, a tooth problem, or 2) lack of mental stimulation, a bored horse will entertain themselves however they can and that often results in them playing with the bit excessively or otherwise "misbehaving".

You said you changed bits, can you show us exactly what kinds of bits you've used on him as well?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.