Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!!
So I went to saddlery today and lady there said I should improve my horses topline before riding him!!
Ok so my question is other than lunging him are there any exercises that would help this process??
He's a 14yr old gelding stock horse.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone ?:)
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Can you post pics of your gelding? Lunging while bitting up will help, if he's thin over his topline a good quality grain/supplement will also help -

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hes on a weight gain feed. He was severely underweight when we got him :(:( he's gaining weight nicely it's his muscle tone I'm trying to focus on now...

Topline Photo by Kace202 | Photobucket
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
(Oh I know he's still underweight but he is gaining gradually it's only been 4 weeks)
Here's another to show back

Rocco Photo by Kace202 | Photobucket
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
The lady was right, though he's gaining weight nicely, he still has a ways to go, a senior feed may help with weight coming along his topline, but I would just be patient and let him finish filling out before starting saddle work. I would take him on walks up hills and on trails, do short sessions of lunging bitted up, work on ground work and give him time. When it is time to fit him, you'll want to pay attention to his withers, you may need a cutback pad of some sort to give his "shark fin" some room.

Congrats on taking him in and fixing him up, he looks like an agreeable sort of fellow :)

Reactions: jannette

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah he's great!!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
398 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for that!!!:) wouldn't have thought of that one!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
You need to get his weight up much more before he will build any reasonable amount of muscle. It is the same deal as humans - I am a body builder, and in order to gain muscle mass, you need to increase your food intake and expect that your body fat percentage will increase at the same time. If you are underweight, you're not going to build muscle.
This horse has a poorly conformed back, and a very high wither so just keep that in mind when trying to build topline later down the track.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Working him long and low with help with his topline. Riding him from his hindquarters into your hands and getting him to stretch his back and neck.
But you do need weight on him first if you want to see any muscle improvement.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What do you mean by poorly conformed back?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
And yes he's on weight gain feed at the moment I've only had him a month.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
He has a long back, with that wither and quite a weak croup. I'm not sure how old he is, but after being a rescue case, it will be a lot to expect him to have a terribly strong back even after some work. Yes he will build some topline, but his back is quite weak conformationally.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh I see ok.
He's 14 and I only will be using him as pleasure riding horse for trails otherwise he's just being my big furr baby lol.
Will just have to see how he goes)
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
7,069 Posts
I don't see anything that calories can't fix. When his weight is good and you start riding him, I think his musculature will fall into place. :)

I've never worried specifically about building back muscles in my horses. I just feed them good, ride them, and the back takes care of itself. I've mostly owned senior horses too.

·
Registered
298 Posts
some nice people sugested me do belly streaches with my rescue mare scratch under the belly till they raise there back and then let them relax i do this many times a day and my mare LOVES it!(mostly getting her belly scratched) i'll send a link to the forum here but it is helpful
so check it out ^__^

http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/building-back-muscles-neglected-horse-295610/
I just found a great video example of this I thought I'd share:

It always really helps me to see it in action...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.