The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am tossing up between two stallions for my next bubby. Both have been offered to me by default, the prices have been reduce considerably.

In the foal, ideally I want to produce something that isn't going to be a giant, with 3 good paces (in particuar good hock and knee action) with the ability to collect, and a good trainable/ridable temeprament.

I can decide on two mares, either a very nicely put together 15.2h tb mare, or a 16h wb mare who has competed PSG and is absolutely lovely but doesn't have the most appealing temeprament under saddle. Her previous foal is fine under saddle though.

So now I have to toss up between these stallions.
Royal Hit

[ smash hit (imp) - revelwood ]

No I don't want a lecture on why not to breed, I've heard it all before and this is not a case of backyard breeding, I have two quality mares which to chose from, and both stallions are extremely well recognised as excellent sires and progeny to prove that. I intend to keep the foal, and should circumstances change, I have plenty of people lined up who would take such a cross of lines in a heartbeat. Yes I am aware of the risks etc. I've been there done that. So no lectures ok, just an hounest opinion of the stallions.

·
Registered
81 Posts
My vote is for Royal Hit. I like his foals better, and I can't put my finger on it, but something bugged me about the way he was going in the youtube video.

·
Registered
626 Posts
goodness, that is quite a difficult choice. haha. i'm also having a hard time choosing, but i personally would go with Royal Hit simply because he seems to have quite a few offspring who have proven very high quality.

ETA: i also very much like Royal Hit's blood line. some very nice horses there :]

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I am leaning towards Royal Hit, he's only in Aus for 1 more year and is just such an amazing quality stallion, everyone raves about him and all his progeny are very well stamped by him.
However Smash Hit is only pretty new and I really adore him, I've heard great things about him and have had a word to his rider and she is absolutely bessotted with him.
Hmmmmm not sure, there's a few other stallions I'd love to use but I just have a deal on these two.

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok this is another boy that I'm very keen on. He's only new and young, but again, I've heard people raving about him.
Fürst Love

His service is not much more than the discounted rate I'd have on the other two, as he is still in the first season of service here in Australia.

·
Registered
626 Posts
hmm, im really liking Furst Love. he's not quite as proven as Royal Hit, but he has a fantastic pedigree.

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep xeventer17, thats what I was thinking, he has excellent pedigree and apparently has a super temperament. Royal Hit is superb, however I am only short so don't want something that is going to be over 16.2h 16.3h at an absolute stretch and I know that he does throw tall foals.

·
Registered
626 Posts
well that being the case, i would go with Furst Love. something about him just really draws me.

·
Registered
13,266 Posts
I am tossing up between two stallions for my next bubby. Both have been offered to me by default, the prices have been reduce considerably.

In the foal, ideally I want to produce something that isn't going to be a giant, with 3 good paces (in particuar good hock and knee action) with the ability to collect, and a good trainable/ridable temeprament.

I can decide on two mares, either a very nicely put together 15.2h tb mare, or a 16h wb mare who has competed PSG and is absolutely lovely but doesn't have the most appealing temeprament under saddle. Her previous foal is fine under saddle though.

So now I have to toss up between these stallions.
Royal Hit

[ smash hit (imp) - revelwood ]

No I don't want a lecture on why not to breed, I've heard it all before and this is not a case of backyard breeding, I have two quality mares which to chose from, and both stallions are extremely well recognised as excellent sires and progeny to prove that. I intend to keep the foal, and should circumstances change, I have plenty of people lined up who would take such a cross of lines in a heartbeat. Yes I am aware of the risks etc. I've been there done that. So no lectures ok, just an hounest opinion of the stallions.
To be honest, I would stay away from the mare with the temper. Your foal will be spending the first few and most crucial months of its life around it's dam, so if it's a mare who's ill tempered and has some bad habits or things she doesn't like, the foal will be imitating and learning from that. I would stay away.

As for the stallion, they both have stunning conformation tho it seems that second one is a little more accomplished? I would choose the second one.

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah I was leaning a little from the mare with the temper undersaddle, I've always been wary of breeding mares with bad attitudes under saddle if you looking at somethign that is rideable. Yes she is very trainable and a great mover etc, and did extremely well undersaddle, but something just snapped in her and she would crack it at every oppertunity under saddle unfortunately.

I'm very dissapointed the original mare I was going to use is not able to be bred now, she's a beautifull liver chestnut hannoverian with superb paces, conformation and temperament, with amazing trainablility, beautifull to ride and fantastic competition results to back her up, but her hind legs have gone and she's going to be put down.

Royal Hit is definately a favourite stallion in Aus at the moment and was very popular in Germany too, I'm just wary of the size foals that he throws, and also the fact that I'd prefer him over the Tb mare, but she is only little and a maiden as far as I know.

·
Banned
5,526 Posts
If you want a trully royally bred DRESSAGE stallion it would be Smash Hit.

Has better movement also.

The Dam on this stallion is St.Pr and from exceptional lines.

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Spyder I was hoping you'd reply to this thread I value your opinions!! Seeing as both mares are chestnut and I'd prefer not to get a chestnut mare (**** red headed females I've had enough of them), as well as the above mentioned size issues etc. I do really like Smash Hit. Also a big fan of Royal Hit because he has some absolutely sensational progeny, but there are so many of them around here now, every second foal is a Royal Hit baby. Not so many Smash Hits yets.... hmmm it's a tough decision, breeding is so exciting yet the decision making is the worst bit!

·
Banned
5,526 Posts
Spyder I was hoping you'd reply to this thread I value your opinions!! Seeing as both mares are chestnut and I'd prefer not to get a chestnut mare (**** red headed females I've had enough of them), as well as the above mentioned size issues etc. I do really like Smash Hit. Also a big fan of Royal Hit because he has some absolutely sensational progeny, but there are so many of them around here now, every second foal is a Royal Hit baby. Not so many Smash Hits yets.... hmmm it's a tough decision, breeding is so exciting yet the decision making is the worst bit!

Sometimes you have to rely on breeding.

I did. My own stallion was from the first crop of foals and was the first foal from an outside mare. They test bred his sire but no foals were on the ground when I bred my mare. I went by both the breeding of the sire and how well he would compliment my mare.

I also narrowed it down to two stallions when I was looking at stallions. Both would have done the job but Spyder's sire went one step farther and went through extra testing for ability and was top stallion in that testing. The other stallion was also well bred and won at eventing in its first year and also had no babies on the ground.

Seems I made the right choice as the rejected stallion did nothing more of any worth but my boy's sire continued to be champion in dressage and hunter.

In your case either stallion will probably produce a baby worth the breeding but depending on the mare you choose the Smash Hit one could generate the most interest. I like Smash Hits movement better as being more pure and from the hind with a more open shoulder and if he can pass that on then all the better.

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'll put up a few photo's of the mares, I'd love your opinion Spyder on who you think would be best with the above mentioned stallions.

Mare 1 (my favourite- she doesn't have the flashiest paces, however she is put together quite nicely, solid for a Tb and a lovely temperament both on the ground and under saddle)

Mare 2 (WB x ASH, proven breeder, has competed PSG successfully however she went a bit stupid under saddle and was retired as a broodie as a result- not the best worth ethic!)

Mare 3- (Another WB x ASH. Very sweet little mare with reasonable paces)

·
Registered
744 Posts
I don't know anything about dressage, but I would go for mare 1 or 3. (3 is my favorite, but you know the mares and mre about what you want) :) good luck. I'm sure you will have a gorgeous baby.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Ok, I say go for Smash Hit. He has some really nice bloodlines and I'm a sucka for a RevelWood horses. I actually ride my friend's horse a lot who she bought from there.
I really like his movement and although there isn't that many foals on the ground, I'd breed from him. He's got a really nice compact shape and that free-jump of his is amazing!

Sorry off topic but that's my friend's horse. She bought him from RevelWood and they were really easy and friendly to deal with :D
[ argentille gidji - revelwood ]

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
SmoothTrails, yeah I'm more looking into the 1st mare, but the little buckskin is a nice girl too. The second mare looks a bit ordindary there because she'd only just foaled, but she is a nice girl. I just worry about her temperament under saddle, and I don't think the either of the stalliosn would go so well over her as the first mare.

Gidji, how gorgeous is your friends horse he's lovely!!!! I have heard some really good things about revelwood stud being good to deal with, haha I'd use all of their stallions if I could! But yep, I'm into the compact types, Royal Hit is a **** fine type too, but lots of people here seem to be prefering Smash Hit... hmmm decisions decisions!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.