The Horse Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi there, as above I have a Toyota Hilux and am just after some towing advice from fellow Hilux users. To date, I have only ever towed 1 horse behind my Hilux but now I may need to tow two and I'm a little nervous as to whether the Hilux is really up to the challenge. I have a Bateson Ascot double float which is unladen 925kg and has a gross weight of 2300kg. My Hilux apparently can tow 2500kg, but I'm wondering if that is likely a struggle for it. I need to pick up two horses, both prob between 500-600kg each from a farm where I will need to tow them up and down a rather long very hilly gravel road. I don't want to put too much strain on my poor truck so wondered really if anyone else uses a truck like mine for towing horses and if so how have you found the performance especially on hills? Will I be asking too much of truck? I would prefer to know the truck has a little extra power behind it so I don't find myself sliding backwards down a hill with a float and two horses 馃槵

Banned
I don鈥檛 own a hilux but my friend does and tows three horses, his tractor on a trailer and his boat. They all go fine. I鈥檇 give it a go but make sure your listening to the engine and adjusting if needsd

Reactions: AbbySmith

Registered
I am not familiar with the Hilux, but I don't think Toyota makes anything bigger than a 1/2 ton truck. A 1/2 ton truck COULD pull a two-horse trailer, if it were a light trailer, but I think it might struggle, especially on hills. Not to mention people say that you should reduce the towing capacity by, I can't remember, something like 10 to 15 percent maybe?, if you're hauling horses. The horses being moving cargo means you're not supposed to tow as much. So if I'm doing my math right, you'd be pulling approx 2100 kg, and your truck can tow MAX 2500 kg. To me, that's cutting it close. Especially with hills.

ETA: but I'm no expert. I personally probably wouldn't chance it. Maybe if the distance were really short, but otherwise not.

Super Moderator
I just looked to see what the vehicle appeared as...
Simple answer I can live with is no!
No the vehicle is not stout enough to handle with safety live cargo.
It is not that the smaller vehicle can not pull it, but going down grade can it control it and stop it if someone were to interfere with you in your lane of traffic...
A bump in the road literally could be a off-road event forget when animals shift, truck bounces and away you go baha-ing is not so good with animals.

No vehicle manufacturer tests weight with live cargo, such as horses are.
A jet-ski, boat, camper, or utility trailer is how those "you can tow this...." are determined.
The stress, strain to your engine pulling up hills and then the braking system holding control on the road, the transmission of any type...
Are your tires rated for the load you want to attempt to carry as your truck shoulders quite a burden to it when towing loaded no matter the style of trailer...

I think you're playing with fire and a lit match next to a keg of dynamite...in other words
I would not use this truck and that trailer fully loaded, just no.
Good luck with your decisions...
You are the one to live with what happens, good or bad....:cautious:
馃惔....

Super Moderator
I just looked at your vehicles specs on the website....
You are maxing out with what you think is "overage" is not...
You are so near maximum limits based on what I'm reading..

I stand by my no...not this truck, not with that trailer and 2 horses aboard not even short distances forget the hilly terrain...
No......................
馃惔...

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just looked at your vehicles specs on the website....
You are maxing out with what you think is "overage" is not...
You are so near maximum limits based on what I'm reading..

I stand by my no...not this truck, not with that trailer and 2 horses aboard not even short distances forget the hilly terrain...
No......................
馃惔...
My truck is bigger than the one you've mentioned here. I know a lot of people do use the same type of truck I have for this type of thing but I'm not sure I'm comfortable with it and I don't want to risk damaging, my truck, the horses or me.

Super Moderator
IDK.... that link took the specs you gave and gave every listing from the manufacturer made that year...
Tops in weight was 2550....you are mighty close to that, not in my comfort zone would I use that truck, no way no how.

When I looked at the pictures of so many of those trucks first thing I noticed is narrow wheel stance, short wheel base {even the dual cabs are short}....
Those are not the best thing you want for ride comfort for human or animal towing.
Narrow you really don't have the control you think you do....not with a loaded trailer that weighs probably darn close to what that truck weighs when loaded...or more.
You have a small truck...
This is what stood out at me... "The 2011 Toyota HiLux carries a braked towing capacity of up to 2500 Kg, but check to ensure this applies to the configuration you're considering." but...again, that is with perfect road conditions, the perfect combination and accessories in your truck and stagnant weight not live cargo of horses.

In the USA you have what we know as a Toyota Tacoma.
Smaller than its counterpart the Tundra...
Based on the values you gave for towing ability you have a 4 cylinder engine in that truck............not the optional V-6 with the correct packaging options would of given you 6,500 maximum towing capacity...
Even with the optional V-6...based on the terrain you refer to needing to tow that loaded trailer on, the fact the truck width is 74" you sit narrow and light trucks do not have HD tires to handle the added weight and stresses towing that trailer is going to put on that truck, fact.
That V-6, is a 4.0 litre...what I have in my car {different brand}. No way would I tow any horse trailer with that engine on flat ground forget up & down hilly terrain.

Toyota makes a fine vehicle for everyday driving and puddle-jumping with the jet-ski or small boat.
That truck is not a suitable tow vehicle for a loaded 2 horse trailer when you gave the weight classifications it can tow labeled it a 4 cylinder engine...it just is not.
I can tell you that with 4WD you actually are able to tow less weight because the truck drive train took specs from you...the manual transmission neither gives not takes away capabilities.
Just beware you are very vulnerable to a slight breeze, shift of a horse in that trailer, a large tractor trailer going past you you will be sucked or blown out of your lane ....
Those of us who have been around and tow are shaking our heads saying don't do this...it isn't worth the chance you take for catastrophe...

People and standards are different in other parts of the world than the USA.
I get it and accept that....if this is what is done...
The fact you asked about it tells me there are other choices available and you see on the roads towing horse trailers.
Toyota was/is known for making lightweight, good gas economy vehicles but as for trucks for towing horse trailers...nope.
There are reasons why gas economy is what it is and bet why you were drawn to that vehicle originally..
Only in the newest vehicles do I see anyone towing around me with a Toy and rarely a horse trailer...and it is the bigger truck the Tundra, not the baby Tacoma.
Mostly, I do see Tundras towing camping trailers and struggling, tail hanging low and wagging the trailer going down the road...
I do see Tacoma's pulling a tandem jet ski trailer or small enclosed trailer that has a lawn mower in it kind of thing..

You live with your decisions, your do what you think best, but just be aware if it hits the fan...you gone and going for the ride of a lifetime.
I wish you much luck but from what information you gave, what I've read and yes I dug for facts from reputable sources... do think about this very, very carefully.
I really wish you the best....
馃惔...

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
IDK.... that link took the specs you gave and gave every listing from the manufacturer made that year...
Tops in weight was 2550....you are mighty close to that, not in my comfort zone would I use that truck, no way no how.

When I looked at the pictures of so many of those trucks first thing I noticed is narrow wheel stance, short wheel base {even the dual cabs are short}....
Those are not the best thing you want for ride comfort for human or animal towing.
Narrow you really don't have the control you think you do....not with a loaded trailer that weighs probably darn close to what that truck weighs when loaded...or more.
You have a small truck...
This is what stood out at me... "The 2011 Toyota HiLux carries a braked towing capacity of up to 2500 Kg, but check to ensure this applies to the configuration you're considering." but...again, that is with perfect road conditions, the perfect combination and accessories in your truck and stagnant weight not live cargo of horses.

In the USA you have what we know as a Toyota Tacoma.
Smaller than its counterpart the Tundra...
Based on the values you gave for towing ability you have a 4 cylinder engine in that truck............not the optional V-6 with the correct packaging options would of given you 6,500 maximum towing capacity...
Even with the optional V-6...based on the terrain you refer to needing to tow that loaded trailer on, the fact the truck width is 74" you sit narrow and light trucks do not have HD tires to handle the added weight and stresses towing that trailer is going to put on that truck, fact.
That V-6, is a 4.0 litre...what I have in my car {different brand}. No way would I tow any horse trailer with that engine on flat ground forget up & down hilly terrain.

Toyota makes a fine vehicle for everyday driving and puddle-jumping with the jet-ski or small boat.
That truck is not a suitable tow vehicle for a loaded 2 horse trailer when you gave the weight classifications it can tow labeled it a 4 cylinder engine...it just is not.
I can tell you that with 4WD you actually are able to tow less weight because the truck drive train took specs from you...the manual transmission neither gives not takes away capabilities.
Just beware you are very vulnerable to a slight breeze, shift of a horse in that trailer, a large tractor trailer going past you you will be sucked or blown out of your lane ....
Those of us who have been around and tow are shaking our heads saying don't do this...it isn't worth the chance you take for catastrophe...

People and standards are different in other parts of the world than the USA.
I get it and accept that....if this is what is done...
The fact you asked about it tells me there are other choices available and you see on the roads towing horse trailers.
Toyota was/is known for making lightweight, good gas economy vehicles but as for trucks for towing horse trailers...nope.
There are reasons why gas economy is what it is and bet why you were drawn to that vehicle originally..
Only in the newest vehicles do I see anyone towing around me with a Toy and rarely a horse trailer...and it is the bigger truck the Tundra, not the baby Tacoma.
Mostly, I do see Tundras towing camping trailers and struggling, tail hanging low and wagging the trailer going down the road...
I do see Tacoma's pulling a tandem jet ski trailer or small enclosed trailer that has a lawn mower in it kind of thing..

You live with your decisions, your do what you think best, but just be aware if it hits the fan...you gone and going for the ride of a lifetime.
I wish you much luck but from what information you gave, what I've read and yes I dug for facts from reputable sources... do think about this very, very carefully.
I really wish you the best....
馃惔...
Fair enough, I wasn't comfortable with the idea in the first place but wasn't sure if I was just being paranoid as I know another girl who moves horses from the same place regularly using a smaller truck and towing a triple loader, gives me the heeby jeebies 馃槵 I'll look for another truck to use.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts