The Horse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I love my baby Marley but I need a horse that I can train now! I want to trail ride with my Boyfriend and I can do this with marley so I found a lady who is willing to trade me her one yr old for her 3 yr old.. His Name is joke but I dont like that so if you think of any name spit them out!!

Heres Joke hes 14.3hs

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Right now Im waiting for her e-mail to finial answer tonight. Which sounds like a yes!!!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Well joke is very handsome, but you really need to be careful when trading horses. Get a vet check on Joke before you take him home, or even trade your little guy for him. There could be a serious health problem with joke, that you would be stuck with

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I wouldnt trade a horse to her if thats how she keeps her horses. Hes pretty skinney. Esp for a young horse who needs too nutrition to finish growing.

·
Registered
13,165 Posts
Okay I love my baby Marley but I need a horse that I can train now! I want to trail ride with my Boyfriend and I can do this with marley so I found a lady who is willing to trade me her one yr old for her 3 yr old.. His Name is joke but I dont like that so if you think of any name spit them out!!
I'm sorry Juneau, but I'm thoroughly confused by your post. I don't know which horse is yours and which she is willing to trade to you. If your horse, Marley, is the yearling, then how can you ride him with your boyfriend?

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I think she means she wants a horse to ride with the bf, and hers is too young.

Its hard to have a horse and not be able to ride sometimes. I got a weanling in july. I just keep telling him to grow faster hehe. Thats why you really need to think head when you buy a young horse, and make a commitment to them.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I think she means that she has a yearling which she can't trail ride with her boyfriend, and she is wanting to trade for a three year old. I would be a little worried about someone willing to train a 3 y/o for a yearling. There may be something wrong with the horse health wise or training wise so I would be careful. If the vet check comes out ok, and you try the horse and it seems to be what you want then I would say go for it.

Good luck on finding a horse.

·
Registered
13,165 Posts
Then Marley is the one year old so she meant that she can't ride him - that makes more sense. The trade is for Juneau's one year old for someone's 3 year old.

Now I've got it. In any case, I agree with Sillybunny that the 3 year old does not look to good. I don't like his overall condition at all.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Then Marley is the one year old so she meant that she can't ride him - that makes more sense. The trade is for Juneau's one year old for someone's 3 year old.

Now I've got it. In any case, I agree with Sillybunny that the 3 year old does not look to good. I don't like his overall condition at all.
I agree here also. He actually looks like he has a "pot" belly, I could be looking at the pictures wrong but thats what it seems like. He might be wormy, and he has no muscle on him whatsoever.

You might want to get information on this woman, as well as the horse. Is he broke? Is he sound? etc.

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
I wouldn't put a horse that I love in that horses hooves. He's thin and looks wormy.

I agree with the above.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I had asked her if she wanted to trade! She put an ad up. Hes $400, so I asked her insted of paying her, i would give her my one year old and she could sell him for me(my yearling)!!! I would get the paint. Besides I still have to go out and see him and meet the lady!!! Yes I did make a mistake by getting him(my yearling) so young. Thats why I want this 3yr old beside if i get him I'll make him look good. Also Im sure Marley(yearling) will find a good home. here the ad if you want to see it. Its just a short small ad!!! Do you think I'm doing the wrong thing?

3- Horses for sale

·
Registered
744 Posts
I probably wouldn't do it. I would work on selling your yearling and then finding one to buy with that money. At least that way you can sell him to someone who seems trustworthy. I would be worried that Marley might end up in not so great condition with that person.

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
I agree, those horses don't look extremely thrifty or happy. I certainly wouldn't have put up an ad like that, with the horses extremely mucky, and not neatened up a bit.

It's ultimately up to you, but my first reaction is "no way my horse would go there to be sold".

·
Registered
475 Posts
^ I totally agree. With some dewormer, some training and some plump-ness, I'm sure he'd be a great little horse... But as for the trade, I wouldn't put my horse into a sittuation like that to be sold.

I guess what it really falls into is whether or not YOU feel comfortable giving this lady your baby (after seeing how her horses are kept and look) to sell. I, personally, would laugh in her face. Do you want your boy to look like that? do you MIND if your boy ends up looking skinny and wormy?

Do I think you're doing the wrong thing? Yes. I, in my honest oppinion, think you should sell your baby to a home you approve, and with that money buy something you can ride. Don't just settle for the first decent oppurtunity you find. I promise you that if you keep looking, you'll find something even better. It's just going to take a little bit of time. In the mean time get your little guy some awesome ground training and enjoy the rest of the time you have with him.

Good luck. I hope the decision you choose to make is what is best for you.

=)

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks guy! i THINK YOUR RIGHT I just got excited to own another paint and have another 3 year old. Now I think I still want to go down and meet her and see her barn horses ect. ect.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Thanks guy! i THINK YOUR RIGHT I just got excited to own another paint and have another 3 year old. Now I think I still want to go down and meet her and see her barn horses ect. ect.
That's good. :)

I am with everyone else here...the first thing that popped into my mind when I saw the pics of "Joke" was not one of a happy or particularly healthy horse. You could make him look lovely, but what would happen to your baby? Maybe it's not as bad in person as it looks over there, but still...I personally would worry about the horse I put in that woman's hands. She can't even bother to clean them up so they look good in the sales ad? Hrm.

Just be careful.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I think I would probably buy that one ^^ because hes so cheep and fatten him up. or call the SPCA on that woman. You should be looking for a healthy horse you can start working with soon, not one that needs alot of extra care. There are some nice horses or craigslist but it takes time to sift throught all of the bad adds.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I agree! So many people post things that are just stupid! I did find both my horses on craiglist that I own now!!!! Juneau and Marley!!!

·
Registered
790 Posts
Dude...I thought that pic was of your YEARLING. That 3 y/o is in desperate need of some TLC and I wouldn't trust that lady with my enemy's horse. It doesn't look like she beats them or anything, but wormers and proper food rations are a must...same with at least weekly maintenance...could've just been bad timing to take those pics, but I wouldn't trust her with my yearling. Not a chance. But if you're interested in her 3 y/o, just remember that if she puts so little time into their welfare, imagine how much time she mustn't have for their training. I don't imagine he would be ready for trails as quickly as you're hoping.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts