The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like...need help. lol. I've been working down at his barn for the ENTIRE summer for FREE. If you're wondering why I was working for free, the owner of the barn said I should trade in working for riding but, surprise surprise! It never happened. Every time I mentioned it, she basically blew me off or she said that we'd talk about it later. I even texted her multiple times about it, but she never answered me.

She promised me that I could ride Snickers, one of the horses there, but she's not giving me any answers. I'm not trying to sound selfish, but I've been working at the barn for the whole summer for free because I was told that I could ride Snickers.

What should I do?

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Unless you have something in writing, I think the only thing you can do now is to stop working there. And if you're going to stop working there anyway, you might as well tell her, "I'm going to stop working here unless you give me the rides you promised me, this week." Because what's the worst she could do, not let you work for free any more? Who knows, maybe she'll decide to give you some rides in order to keep you around.

·
Super Moderator
10,048 Posts
I hate when people don't keep their promises. I'm sorry this happened to you.

I agree with @ACinATX.

However this particular situation works out, I hope you get horseback very soon.

·
Registered
5,325 Posts
You have not ridden at all? Not even once?

That is a shame that someone could have so much lack of integrity. I personally feel that if you tell someone you are going to do something then you should do it, especially when you are trading services for services. It isn't any different than stealing from someone. It sounds to me as if this B/M has stolen your services as she seems to not want to compensate you in the way that was agreed upon.
Personally, if it were me, I would tally up all hours given (honestly and not exaggerate) and give her a bill based on minimum wage. I would give it to her personally and tell her the reason why is because she has seemed to change her mind on the deal and that compensation is needed. I also would stop working for free immediately.

Fortunately, not everyone is like this. There are many people who trade barn work for ride time and it works out great. Unfortunately, sometimes you have to learn the hard way who is who.

·
Registered
14,679 Posts
That is horrible somebody took advantage of you like that. I would text them right now and say I want a ride tomorrow or you won't see me around there to do any work for you.

Reactions: mred and boots

·
Registered
5,325 Posts
If OP has been asking B/M all summer long to come through with her end of the bargain, then obviously she has no desire to do so. Asking another time just doesn't seem effective to me. I would just give her a bill for work that has already been done. I highly doubt that that will be given either but at least the point is made and then the B/M will just find the next trusting person. The OP can move on and find another place to trade work for ride time with folks that are more honest.

·
Registered
14,679 Posts
Sometimes if you give a person an ultimatum and you threaten to take away work that they were depending on getting done, they might act if they had a brain in their head. However some people are just scammers.

Reactions: Finalcanter

·
Registered
5,325 Posts
Sometimes if you give a person an ultimatum and you threaten to take away work that they were depending on getting done, they might act if they had a brain in their head. However some people are just scammers.
Anyone with half a brain cell would know that people don't work for nothing, they work because there is something that they want. It might take one brain cell to understand that you should respect someone that you depend on to get the work done.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I agree with all that posted. If you find another barn that allows you this trade, make sure to get it in writing, and have them specify how much riding per week you are allowed such as: X amount of work equals Y amount of riding. Keep a log of your hours and turn in your sheet when you get to the set amount, and then ask to ride. A reputable barn owner/manager will already do this.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
I feel that even if you let her know that you want to have your rides that were promised in exchange for the work you have done, you won't get proper riding time and help from this person. She will renege on the rides and this could lead to problems. I don't know how much riding experience you have and if you are capable of riding these horses without help. This situation could spiral downwards very easily.
Best to chalk it up to experience and leave.
If you could find another situation where you could exchange work for riding time, be sure to have it all in writing and detail how many hours work equals how many hours riding and if these rides are supervised if you need help.
You were taken advantage of, best of luck on finding a better place,

·
Registered
17,314 Posts
Sounds like she's taking advantage of you. If there was an issue, she could've easily responded to you and been upfront with you. Definitely find another barn. You owe her nothing. Find another barn that will appreciate you.

·
Registered
12 Posts
How old are you? You sound young, no offense meant!

If you aren't 18 years old yet, let your parents take over. Very obviously that barn owner has been and is continuing to take advantage of you. And you know why? Because she can. You have been letting her, and in the case you are below 18, your parents have been letting her.

I wouldn't ask for the rides. That train has left the station. What I would ask for is money paid for the work that has been done.

Yes, there is no contract. That is why Barn owner feels "safe". However, there is such a thing as a ORAL (just spoken, not written down) contract or agreement. And if she had done this with a minor, she is in the wrong to begin with.

If this had happened to my daughter, I would go over there and it wouldn't be pretty. I know parents shouldn't always get involved, but in this situation, absolutely. Barn work is hard work and sometimes even dangerous.

I would tell that person that she had her chance to fulfill her side of the agreement but has continuously ignored the requests and instead taken advantage of a minor. She/he can either sit down with me and figure out the approx. hours and pay them in minimum wage, or they could meet me in small claims court. Small claims is free.

Don't argue, don't threaten, don't spend much time on this. Present the facts and your case and give them 4 days to reply. Follow up with a written request of the same that you mail to them with signature upon delivery.

I don't think this will happen to you again, its a lesson learned.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I agree with everyone saying give an ultimatum or quit flat out when it's not honored. Be assertive with it, up front and in their face. It's a shame BM's or BO's can be so stingy to the point where they can't even offer a ride to someone who works there. Especially if the horse is a school horse in need of exercise. Money definitely corrupts in the horse world- but there are other people who are kind enough to offer rides for work. Leave there and seek those people out. Working for free in today's world is not to be tolerated imo. When I worked summer camp, I often got free lessons (the barn was steeped in politics but..same rule applies).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.