The Horse Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am thinking about getting a saddle for trail riding for her birthday but I have zero idea what kind would be good. It needs to be very flat in the seat and the seams can't rub her bones so the seat seams need to be fairly wide I would guess? Wider than for a guy anyway. It also needs to be light and have a steep angle cantle / high cantle for good lower back support. It would be nice if the horn style was big and flat so when she goes under trees and stuff she doesn't get gut punched leaning over the horn. She is what I call a medium build, not skinny but definitely not fat by any means, and she is 5'6" or 5'7". Ideas and suggestions? Pictures of the saddles you suggest with and without somebody in them would be really nice too if you can.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Every serious trail rider that's a lady I know, rides either a barrel saddle with a short horn (Not those 8" long things) or a Tucker trail saddle... and the occassional Lady Wades/McCall saddles.

If a Corriente fit Trigger, I'd have this one: Lady Wade Association Tree.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Probably not super helpful, since mine is not a western saddle per se, but for me a suspended seat saddle is the cat's meow :Angel: Think sitting on a comfortable hammock, that actually contours to you :cool:
This one has a deep trail seat, giving lots of support, but still making moving around easy.

It is on a western tree and they also make true western saddles. Old Timer TEK Ranch ? Double Diamond Equine
Think sitting on a comfortable hammock, that actually contours to you :cool:
This one has a deep trail seat, giving lots of support, but still making moving around easy.

20190817_185526.jpg

But I've also heard that you either love or hate it, with nothing in-between...

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Every serious trail rider that's a lady I know, rides either a barrel saddle with a short horn (Not those 8" long things) or a Tucker trail saddle... and the occassional Lady Wades/McCall saddles.
I totally forgot about Tucker saddles. Their T60 might be just about perfect for her.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
I totally forgot about Tucker saddles. Their T60 might be just about perfect for her.

Actual trail saddles aren't really what I like... visually... but my goodness! I've seen some lovely Tuckers... and the leather always looks so rich and supple, yet tough. I think that may be the one to look for.

·
Registered
10,599 Posts
Take a look at the Eli Miller saddles.

https://www.customcomfortsaddles.com/

I am pretty sure this is not the original Eli Miller but a relative. I’ve been been retired a good many years and I am also pretty sure the first Eli Miller was way up in years when he passed away:)

The Miller Plantation saddles became popular with those of us who started riding Tennessee Walkers on the trail, years ago. Pretty soon a whole bunch of well known and not well known saddle makers were borrowing the plantation style and putting their mark on the saddles.

And pretty soon the Millers started branching out, making plantation style saddles with horns, lollol.

Their saddles are (at least used to be) on a broader tree to accommodate the large sweeping movement of the shoulders of Tennessee Walkers.

If I were going to spend big money on a saddle, it would be an Eli Miller saddle or Allegheny Saddles, who is, or was, another relative. The saddles are strikingly beautiful.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had looked at Eli Miller saddles and Allegheny Mtn Saddles for her prior to this and I found they have too steep a rise in the seat for her. I am thinking the Tucker North Star Horizon 263 might be the way to go for her, it has the seat channel and the flat seat she needs.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
We purchased a Fabtron lady trail or something like that for my daughter when she was 14 it had a narrower twist and was light enough that she could get it up on her horse by herself with no issues.

I personally ride in a Tucker River Plantation saddle. My saddle much like @SwissMiss does not have a horn and has English stirrup leathers. It really depends on the rider and where you ride.

If they need the horn go with a true western saddle with a narrow twist. The Fabtron has proven to be a great little saddle for how inexpensive it was and has help up wonderfully. My daughter is now 20 yrs old and 5'10 and the saddle still fits her well and she loves it.

·
Registered
7,339 Posts
You can look at some of the ranch cutters. I see some have the flat "cutter board" style seats but with a straight and taller cantle than a true cutter board which usually came with a short Cheyenne roll.
Most of the ranch cutters come with #4 dally horn rather than the tall skinny cutter horn.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Actual trail saddles aren't really what I like... visually... but my goodness! I've seen some lovely Tuckers... and the leather always looks so rich and supple, yet tough. I think that may be the one to look for.
What type of horse do you have? I have had 3 different Tucker Saddles which all three fit me great. Love how comfortable they were for me. But, my horses didn't like them. I had them fitted to my horses but they rubbed a place on their back which would have caused serious problems if I didn't trade them in on a Circle Y Saddle. I ride a lot, almost everyday in the summer and every weekend the rest of the time. I am talking about 8-10 hour trail rides. The Tucker Saddles need to fitted with your horse in mind.

Some of my friends horses did find with them but just as many had the same trouble that I did.

I had better luck with the Circle Y and my current one is the High Horse. I bought it and several of my friends like mine so much they bought them one.

There is about 10 of us now and we all really like it.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What type of horse do you have? I have had 3 different Tucker Saddles which all three fit me great. Love how comfortable they were for me. But, my horses didn't like them. I had them fitted to my horses but they rubbed a place on their back which would have caused serious problems if I didn't trade them in on a Circle Y Saddle. I ride a lot, almost everyday in the summer and every weekend the rest of the time. I am talking about 8-10 hour trail rides. The Tucker Saddles need to fitted with your horse in mind.

Some of my friends horses did find with them but just as many had the same trouble that I did.

I had better luck with the Circle Y and my current one is the High Horse. I bought it and several of my friends like mine so much they bought them one.

Which Circle Y do you have? How do they compare to say a McCall saddle? The lady at the tack place I talked to today was really pushing McCalls saddles for trail riding so it made me wonder. I looked some McCall's up and they are pretty spendy for a non-custom saddle but maybe they are worth it?

Anyway all my horses are foundation bred AQHA quarter horses, they are working ranch horses. This is the horse the saddle will go on most often:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,787 Posts

He is a mutt. Probable Spotted Saddle Horse X Mustang (Spanish type) cross. He's thin as a blade of grass up front, knife blade, high withers, and built very lightly. I stumbled over a Connie Combs Barrel saddle that fits him perfectly, and it took two years to find it... even then it was an accident. It's a good saddle, so I'll stick with it for him and our trail riding. :p

Reactions: whisper2myhorse

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I LOVE my circle Y saddle. Super comfortable for me, but unfortunately is too wide for my horse. I rode a couple 25mile endurance rides in that saddle this year.

I also ride in a Rico saddle. It has a lot less skirting than a lot of western saddles and fits me pretty good. I really like that saddle and the quality is really good as well.

I have a few friends who ride in Tuckers and really like them - I have not tried them out before. I did ride in a BigHorn and was not super thrilled with it.

·
Registered
7,339 Posts
Which Circle Y do you have? How do they compare to say a McCall saddle? The lady at the tack place I talked to today was really pushing McCalls saddles for trail riding so it made me wonder. I looked some McCall's up and they are pretty spendy for a non-custom saddle but maybe they are worth it?

Anyway all my horses are foundation bred AQHA quarter horses, they are working ranch horses. This is the horse the saddle will go on most often:

If you decide to go with a McCall, look for an older used one in good shape. As with most brands the older ones are better. I can't remember for sure but it seems they changed hands 10, 15 years ago? And the quality wasn't as good. Not saying they're bad, just not as good.
They pop up on ebay, tack trader or ranch world ads.

·
Registered
112 Posts

My most recent Circle Y was called High Horse. I ride gaited horses and so does my friends. I am not sure how the Circle Y's fit on them. I do know that it is important to have the saddle fitted to your horse. When you find one that works for both you and your horse then you should keep it My husband rides a Brenda Imus Saddle that she had made by Circle Y. You can't find them anymore. He has had it repaired several times, he has a lot of miles on it. He loves it. It has worked on all his horses and we are talking about several horses. I like riding in it but it is to heavy for me to pick up and put on my 16 hand horses.

I have had Hagger's Custom made saddles from Canada. They are light and I like it's look but never could get use to riding on it. It set me high up in the seat and I always felt that I was too high up. Especially with a 16 hands horse. It works great on my 14.3 hand horse.

I don't know anything about the McCall's saddles.

Good luck finding just the right saddle. I know that it has been a challenge for me.

Reactions: AndyTheCornbread
1 - 17 of 17 Posts