The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we're moving 2 of our horses on Saturday and I am trying to decide the best course of action to bring them home.
My concern is really just my Shetland foal, newt. He was brought to the boarding facility in a car (yes, the back of a car) so he has never been trailered before.
Should I just keep him loose in the trailer by himself and make 2 trips? the other horse trailers perfectly but hes so much larger than the pony and I don't want anyone getting hurt.
the boarding facility is only 5-10 minutes away so it isn't a long ride.
I mean, I could put him in the back of our van, I have had people i know tell me they've done it before with their ponies, and he's tiny enough to fit but the idea of that kind of stresses me out
I've only ever trailered my larger horses, so trailering something so small is new to me.

how do you transport your tiny little guys?

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Put the Shetland foal in your van load horse in trail. One trip done ,foal will be safe being in van. This is what I would do in your situation.

Problem solved no need to stress.

·
Registered
9,043 Posts
I'm usually pretty relaxed about things, but in this case I think I would trailer seperately.
Agreed. I would take the larger horse first, so the little guy can smell that a horse has been there. Make sure you allow plenty of time to train the foal to load.

Just because he is tiny does not mean he doesn't need to be treated like any other young horse.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
I sure wouldn't put him inside a vehicle. Mostly because as soon as an equine is in a trailer, they cut loose and poop huge piles of poop. Mine also seem to enjoy peeing in the trailer. I would think an auto would cause the same subconscious need to fully evacuate the bowels and possibly bladder. Also just because he arrived in a car the first time doesn't mean he'll be okay with it now. I sure wouldn't want an upset equine, of any size, getting emotionally compromised in close quarters with me driving down the road.

Better he learn to trailer and I'd do it as suggested above: Take the larger horse first, then the wee fella, two separate trips.

Reactions: AnitaAnne

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
I'm usually pretty relaxed about things, but in this case I think I would trailer seperately.
This^^^^^ :smile:

Only 5-10 minutes away is barely getting the truck warmed up:smile:

·
Registered
14,333 Posts
Depending on what's in the trailer (is it stock with a dividing gate, a slant with a "stallion" compartment in the front, wide open no separations), I would either trailer them both together but divided or take 2 trips. The young'un is going to travel better if there's another horse in the trailer with him, so I'd want to take them together if possible. If the little guy ties solid elsewhere, he could have a trailer tie, if not, then I'd load him loose. Really, I probably would load them together regardless, if they were mine, because the little guy needs to learn how to trailer with big horses.

·
Registered
794 Posts
My neighbor used to transport her mini donkeys in her minivan. Gave a whole new definition to "minivan"! Pics below, and an extra photo of a few of them waiting for my neighbor to walk out the front door for a carrot.

Agree with the above, anxious equines poop everywhere. My neighbor would fold the seats down, lay down a tarp and put shavings over that. Got pretty messy, but at the end she would just pull the whole tarp out.

Definitely not something I would highly recommend, though. Looking back on it, I'm surprised I didn't perceive any danger at the time. Donkeys tend to be less spooky than horses, too.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.