The Horse Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I really wanted to train my horse to bow but how? do ya'll have any tips? I was looking at youtube videos but is doing it with rope bad? cause it really looks easy to do it with rope but it also somehow doesn't look right but I need some tips..

·
Banned
904 Posts
I picked up one leg, gently pulled it back and stuck a treat underneath him. After repeating that for a while I added the cues like a tap on the leg and words

·
Banned
904 Posts
Hmm. Maybe gentle pull the lead rope straight down and get him lowering his head softly and then ask him to bring it back under him

·
Banned
1,575 Posts
Hmm. Maybe gentle pull the lead rope straight down and get him lowering his head softly and then ask him to bring it back under him
Yeah, just keep pressure on him and the second he moves his head down, release pressure, click and treat.

Reactions: hally dope

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
It takes A LOT of patience and teach it in steps. I taught my horse to first lift his leg, then to get comfortable lowering his body slightly backwards while leaving his other leg extended and allowing his knee to rest on the ground. After he got them separately I put them together and once he was consistent I gave him a "button. He is to only bow when I touch a certain spot on his chest that can't be accidentally touched along with a verbal cue. I also put an "up" cue on him so he holds the bow. That took even more patience as they don't naturally hold positions like that.

He looks fairly elegant if I do say so myself haha (He looks even better when he's clean)
20210116_193249.jpg

·
Banned
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
so I kinda realized something when I was starting to train this horse how to bow should I wait for a little because I didn't get him that long ago so I should get to know him before I jump to big tricks like that?

·
Banned
1,575 Posts
Personally, I think you're good. It may take you longer to get him to bow just cause you don't have a super deep connection with him yet. But teaching him tricks, may also help fast-track your relationship!

Reactions: hally dope

·
Registered
159 Posts
So I really wanted to train my horse to bow but how? do ya'll have any tips? I was looking at youtube videos but is doing it with rope bad? cause it really looks easy to do it with rope but it also somehow doesn't look right but I need some tips..
I do this class and it is amazing and super helpful. You pay once & get put on a google classroom with step by step videos on how to do everything and new videos are released frequently. There is a video to teach a horse how to bow on there along with many other things including the theory behind it so you can teach a horse just about anything. Also the book "Connection Training: The heart and science of positive horsemanship" will help you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts