The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What kind of snaffle bit is the best to start a young horse in? I looked a different ones and I just don't know what would be a good option.

Is there one that is better then another as far as D-ring, O-ring, Egg butt???

What about the mouth piece?

Brand?

What are your thoughts and reasoning?

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
Which ever one your horse likes best. Some will like a double joint, some hate it. Some will like rollers, some won't care. Just listen to what your horse has to say. If it were me I'd start with an O ring with a double joint.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
I personally prefer either a double jointed d-ring or eggbutt to start a horse with. I like the fact that it has a bit more pressure than an o-ring on the opposite side of the face "pushing"the nose over while your direct rein "pulls" it.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
My first ride or two is generally in a sidepull, then I go to my western offset D with single jointed, sweet iron mouth. I originally bought it because the rings were pretty, the mouthpiece has the slightest curve to fit over the tongue, and the bit had a good feel/weight. I don't like really lightweight or hollow bits; IMO, a slightly weightier bit will get my cues across more clearly with less pressure from my hands.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I personally prefer either a double jointed d-ring or eggbutt to start a horse with. I like the fact that it has a bit more pressure than an o-ring on the opposite side of the face "pushing"the nose over while your direct rein "pulls" it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yep...I like a double-joined dee ring myself. It breaks back better in the horse mouth...conforms to the mouth without "peaking" in the middle.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was thinking a double jointed D-ring. Does anyone have a brand preference? Is cheap okay or is it better to buy an expensive bit?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.