The Horse Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK! I have officially halter broken the mini donkeys! One of them got out today and it was quite easy to get him back in: I basically just walked up to him, put the halter on, and then led him back into the pasture. So I am calling him trained. The other one was the one who was easier to train in the first place. I think I just need one more session with him to be sure about it.

My old trimmer once said, and I feel like I've heard others say it as well, that donkeys tend to be more relationship focused than behavior focused. What she said specifically was that a donkey will decide if it likes you or not and behave accordingly. If a donkey liked her, as a trimmer, it would cooperate and let her trim it. If it didn't like her, it couldn't be forced into it. She thought this was the case because there were donkeys she could trim and others could not, and also vice versa.

So, what I'm wondering is, is that really true? Do I really have the donkeys halter trained, or are they just halter trained FOR ME? I know that the way to really figure that out is to have someone else try, and I will. I'm just wondering what everyone else's experiences have been.

·
Banned
1,575 Posts
When I got my donkeys, one was super friendly and came right up to anyone. The other two hated all people. They would let you come to them with treats, but would leave as soon they were gone.
I have worked with them all summer and they now come to me whether or not I treats. They will also stay with me for much longer.
So, what I have found is the super friendly one will come to any one doesn't matter what they're doing. The other two will let almost anyone come to them so long as they take it slow and talk to them the whole time. If they're flinging their arms around and walking super fast, they will run away and it takes for ever for them to even come to me. But I still consider that progress! Lol.

So in my experience donkeys really need to know that the person knows what they're doing. If they sense hesitation they know they can get away with doing whatever they want. You have to be willing to work with the donkeys, as well as know what you are doing with them. Does that make any sense?

Reactions: ACinATX

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, that's very helpful!
:)

Reactions: AbbySmith
1 - 3 of 3 Posts