The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
I am at a boarding stable, have had great help from the people there. For now I feel good riding with one other person with me(I don't like people watching me, weird I know). I have made the goal that I would like to get on the trail by the anniversary of Mom's passing, May 8. I haven't thought as much about making smaller goals, that is a very good idea.
Yea, my horse is a great horse and very well broke but he does have some "go" to him so that can kind of play with my mind too.
Okay, to control his "go", practice on the ground bending his neck back to the girth so that he gives willingly in both directions then do it standing still in the saddle and don't release until he gives into you and doesn't brace. then at the walk practice the bend (one rein stop practice). this way he is used to you bending him like this and if he speeds up then do it and bend him into circle and hold rein short until he gives into you and stops moving then release and you can exhale big to get him to stop he will read you that way. this is a good practice to get you acclimated to his movements at a slower pace and gives you complete control.
now then, what i do to get rid of my anxiety (as I am damaged goods as a rider) I say the alphabet one letter with each stride out loud or count out loud same tempo. this forces you to breathe and distracts you, allowing your body to get more in rhythm with your horse and sometimes i do pledge of allegiance or something different to switch it up. a few lessons with your horse will work wonders. do similar routine with each ride, walk both directions then trot (dont forget to practice one rein stops) both directions then circles then figure eights but all along practice your one rein stops. this will keep him checked into you and anticipate your stops which can have him slower to get ready for them.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.