The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, we've run into a few bumps in our recent attempt at getting my mom a horse. While we have yet to sign the agreement, or pay anything toward her, we pretty much declared she was ours. While at the barn today we were discussing a few things with the trainers, and their biggest concern was shipping her while she's so late in her pregnancy. They would do the hauling, and the mare is six and a half hours away. She's due in May/June, and wouldn't be here until the beginning of April. What are the risks, if any, to the mare and unborn foal of hauling so late? The trainers said they wouldn't want anything to happen to her, and also wouldn't want my mom to be put in a financial hole that would be hard to get out of should something go wrong.

I'm looking for several opinions here. If it turns out to be too risky, we won't do it, but pulling out of the sale now would be very disappointing to both us and the owner.

I did talk to the woman and she said that the mare was hauled further along in her pregnancy than she would be this time when they got her. It was a four and a half hour drive over the six and a half hour drive here. She said making sure we stop every once in a while to check on her and give her a rest would be a good idea. She said she's not a fragile mare, and is a pro at all this. Even so, I'm worried something could go wrong.
But I don't want to back out of the sale after going through all of this trouble and at the last minute.

Some people say to wait until after she's had her baby, but the reason the woman is getting rid of some horses is because her husband passed away and left her alone with fifteen horses and four are due to foal in May or June. That, and wouldn't it be just as dangerous to haul a young foal?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
992 Posts
Um, don't do it. The people I used to work for bought a mare at AQHA worlds, hauled her home, and within a week she had aborted the foal. Thousands of dollars later in vet care and the mare is alive, but infertile now. If she was very early on in the pregnancy I wouldn't worry AS much. But the risk is still there. Hauling a young foal isn't awful, just don't tie mom or the baby. Whenever we pick up a weanling we never tie it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just don't know what to do. I'm getting a lot of completely different views.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
992 Posts
Personally I would rather be safe than sorry. Basically your options are this:

a: Transport mare, potentially causing her to abort the foal(which is very bloody and dangerous) and hurt herself.

b: Wait until baby is born, and have less potential for anything to happen. As long as mom and baby are not tied, there shouldn't be a problem. There is always a risk hauling any horse, just remember that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I obviously wouldn't want anything to happen to her, but I don't think the woman will keep her that long. I think I'm going to talk to the vet about it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am certainly taking that into consideration, trust me. I'm going to contact the vet that she uses as well, to get his opinion since he knows the mare better.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, I understand that. It's also like someone else told me, it depends on the mare. If a woman is not afraid of flying, it won't stress her out as much. It's the same with a mare in a trailer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's why I'm going to talk to the vet. We'll also have a vet here when we get back to check her out and make sure she and the foal are alright.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top