The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have pear and apple trees near our farm. Sometimes on trail rides, we take a break by them and I was wondering if that was ok for them to have one. I know apples are ok (not the greatest from the sugar) but I wasn't too sure about the pears. Our horses also like pretty much all types of fruit and veggies once in a while. They like oranges, bananas, pumpkin, grapes, one likes broccoli, etc. (Just for treats once in a while and not as a replacement for food.) Is it ok to let them eat these kinds of food? Is there any particular type that is very bad for them? Thanks!

·
Registered
87 Posts
I've never heard of pears being bad for horses.... As long as none of them are rotten I dont see why not. I usually stick to putting treat in my pockets to give to the horses during rides instead of letting them pick stuff up on the way. But that just me.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We don't let them pick them up by themselves, we are allowed to pluck them off of the tree. (One for your horse and one for you)

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was mainly wondering if there were any fruits/veggies that are horrible for horses? Does anyone know of any?

·
Banned
1,566 Posts
I own an orchard and pears ripen before apples so my horses get pails of pears for a few weeks. I never worried about them and feed maybe 6 per horse. When the apples ripen I throw 8 in my horses grain bucket at a time or a water pail for 4 horses in the field.

·
Registered
697 Posts
I feed my horses apples, pears, peaches, cherries, and almost every type of fruits and veggies. Mine even spit out the pits somehow, even the cherry ones. The only veggies I've ever been told were bad for horses are tomatoes and potatoes.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lol ok! Thank you, I'll make sure I don't give him potatoes and tomatoes! I'm glad I am not the only one who feeds veggies lol. Some people think that it is weird, but they like veggies and they are healthy!

·
Banned
1,566 Posts
My guys also like pepper mints, donuts and some french fries. I have lots of cherries but I would be afraid of breaking a tooth on the pits, same with the plumes.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
lol: I'm seeing a horse taking a bite out of a donut! Our horses like peppermints, too. Comanche's favorite are actually skittles :) He can hear you open a bag of skittles a mile away (and he preffers the green ones lol)!

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Interesting because potatoes and tomatoes are not good for me either! Too many of either makes too much of Tess! :lol:

Mine will eat practically anything you put in front of them. I usually limit it to apples, carrots, celery, pineapple, raisins , craisins, papaya (all in a trail mix) , yes peppermints and can you believe it, coffee, somewhat cooled. :shock:

Forgot, pumpkins.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Horses love beer, too.

I let my boys have apples, carrots, Rounders Molasses Treats, Archway Molasses Iced Cookies, Nature Valley Oat and Honey Granola Bars, peppermints, candy canes, Nutter Butters...Hoover eats just about everything but Gunny doesn't like peppermint.

My trainer told me once raisins were bad for horses.

·
Banned
1,901 Posts
Mine eats pina colada popsicles, green apples (his absolute FAVORITE), and he often shares my mountain dew with me.....you know you love your horse when you can drink after them.

He also likes the Nature Valley Oat and Honey bars. He knows what the wrappers sound like, so any time I open something plastic he wants to try and eat it.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Haha, that's Hoover too! I used to smoke, and he always thought the cellophane was a granola bar.

I let my horses drink my pop, too. They're very polite and generally don't back wash ; )

·
Banned
1,901 Posts
I don't know about tobacco in cigarettes, but I know a few horses who looooooove Copenhagen smokeless tobacco. turns them into nuts. I think I read somewhere where it gets them high?

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Thanks HooverH, I'll have to look into the raisins.

Won't try the beer. We gave it to our ferrets once, not a pretty sight tipsy ferrets! :lol:

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Lol! Haha, I've never thought about giving them coffee. They would go crazy on caffine! :)

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
He knows what the wrappers sound like, so any time I open something plastic he wants to try and eat it.
I always say that Comanche's favorite food is plastic bag/container because when he hears that crackle: watch out for him because he will come running to you! :)

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
They don't get too much because they are very greedy!

You could give em decaf! They also love my decaf tea. Not so neat on the sipping though. When I'm about 1/2 to 2/3 done, I let them have the rest. Sometimes I'll pour a bit into their feed dishes. That works best for all of us! :lol:

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah, I'll have to give them some to see if they like it! I just remembered, at my old barn there is an Arabian gelding whose favorite food are hamburgers! It was weird to see him munch off of one lol!

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Giving them fruits and veggies isn't that bad but keep your horse's teeth in mind when you give him treats. Sugar does the same thing to their teeth as it does to ours... My vet was just telling me about a seminar he attended about doing root canals on horses... all because of the crap we feed our horses.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.