The Horse Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I was wondering what you guys think of treeless saddles. I’ve heard a bunch of pros and cons, like people saying it made there horses back sore. Particularly I was wondering about the hilason treeless saddle.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
There are lots of threads here about treeless saddles if you use the 'search community' bar at the top of the forum.

Hilason saddles are junk. If you want a western treeless saddle to barrel race in, a good starting point is a Bob Marshall Sport Saddle. I know someone who runs in one and loves it.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Hilason can be fine, as long as you know it's going to rub paint off. There is no real difference between it and the expensive brands. All three are made for a flat spine, wither to hip, no dip. Dips cause wrinkles in seat, so you need padding to level it. The pommel is 90° angle, they all are. None have bothered to have different angles to fit more horses. Only difference is head height, a regular wither or a tall shark wither.
Then there are pillow top types of treeless and I hated those. All felt cheap, made you sweat, sank you in, little support for rider or horse's back.

·
Registered
486 Posts
The first time my sister's horse had on a treeless saddle he bucked me off. We were ok until I tried to slow him down after a short run. He started crow hopping, then full on bucking. A friend who saw it happen said the back end of the saddle popped way up and threw me out. We haven't used the treeless on him again and he's been good in a regular saddle since then.

·
Registered
17,381 Posts
I like my Barefoot treeless saddle, it's the only brand I will trust. I also like their bareback pads. Very supportive.

However, I don't ride in it all the time. I did use it a lot during a time where I was selling my old saddle (it did not fit my mare anymore) & it was a big help. Didn't seem to bother her either. I also used a really good half pad with it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts