The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im trialing a 17.1 Thoroughbred, i brought a very experienced trainer with me who rode and tested the horse and will continue to assist me. im not expecting him to go into a frame, do a dressage test, do a whole jumping round ect. Just trail riding, pleasure riding and natural horsemanship. His a very cheap horse so ive asked all the basic questions to seller, checked sellers history selling horses and nothing seems shady.

Trial is 3 weeks long and with a contract Will get a basic vet check at end if horse doesnt buck,rear,pigroot or has float problems. His information 14 years old Gelding No nastin,ess Done trail riding, Done pony club for 4 years, Has jumped 1 metre at pony club, Been ridden by beginners. Floated well with me good to catch and lead tiday, Good to jump today Has some seperation anxiety, but seems to just neigh Doesnt know how to tie up was good to walk,trot and canter today Was good to trail ride today Was good to ride today decent mouth, but a bit lazy.. has been out of work for six months and is a bit overweight.

. I liked his temperament and he seems very calm as he was walked through town around dogs,cars and along roads and footpaths.

aths he didnt spook once.

Reactions: Boo Walker

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The horse is called Red and after walking through town for 40 minutes he was tender footed on the footpath, so he could be a bit tender footed for a couple of days. His feet are a good shape but have cracks because his feet are to dry so i will oil them. Hes just been living of grass and being a thoroughbred maybe thats why his feet are like that, but i cant hard feet him because his to fat and i need to get him to lose weight with me so i can see his "true colours".

Attachments

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have videos but i look really bad, and when jumping i had bad position and got left behind and i couldn't remember how to jump ! So ill have videos today. He was trying to evade from trotting an wanting to canter but he has been ridden by a beginer and you can just tell from how hard his mouth is ect. I wasnt letting him get away with cantering and he easily gets over it but its a little annoying.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
His also green because of not being in much riding work, but my instructor has seen me ride (fair few times) and is looking at horses for me even if they are green because she knows ill be able to handle them if their not nasty or silly horses.

Attachments

Reactions: Boo Walker

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Sounds good! Horses that have done years of pony club are often good general riding horses, as they've done a bit of everything and put up with a lot!

Hopefully he works out fine :)

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hope so because I cant handle horses that are silly ! :)
Because of my back.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
With the exception of not having white socks, he looks EXACTLY like a TB I used to ride. Same face, same white spot, same type of build, bigger boned, and exact same color! Wow, brings back memories, his name was Reserve, and he ended up passing a few years ago, but man was he a fun ride. I hope this guy works out for you, I like him a lot.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok red wont pass a vet pre purchase because he looks like his starting to go blind in one eye. I will still take him on, he was ridden yesterfay and lunged didnt put foot wrong !
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I would still get a PPE done, the legs are the base of a horse's soundness. Is it a cataract? Horse's don't pass or fail vet checks, the vet just lets you know what they find, and it's up to you to decide if you're ok with it.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My trainer says hes not worth the vet check, ill try and get a basic one coz my trainer has been checking his heart rate after I ride and the vital signs are easy to check for a horse. So maybe I can get a check on his legs in particular. Ill have to get a vet out any ways coz he has the eye blindness and fungal thing on his head (not serious) looks like rain scald.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I got a quote for a pre purchase test and it was 225$ I was expecting it would be 500$ ! So I can get his eye checked at the same time. vets only coming at end of trial though ! If reds still being a good boy
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.