The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to tell you about the Abaco Spanish Colonial Horse. It is the rarest horse breed ever . I just mean, there is only one mare left. Find the ASCH on Abaco , the northest island of the Bahamas. ]
Short History:
On the Abaco , some people had to take care of some horses (a kind of Barbs) because the pine forest was cut and the the horses would must carry the logs.When the tractors appeared, horses were abandoned. They found water and food on island, in the forest. All was fine until until people "discovered" their place. Many horses were caught or killed. Fortunately, 3 horses were brought to a farm and, when they were 12, they were brought back to the forest. As days passed away, the horse numbers reduced. Today, despite ASCH fans (there is even a reservation of 3800 acres) eforts, there is only one mare left...perhaps.
The last horses:
Nunki , a bay ASCH mare with white socks, is the only mare we surely know that exists. She enjoys a lot of contact and she had a filly , Spica, but she is now dead. Nunki is about 17 years old.
I will tell you about Capella, an ASCH apron-faced splashed white pinto. It never stayed in the reservation and nobody knows if it is alive or not. He is about 15 years old.

You are free to speak about ASCH!:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is a shame this happened. The HOA and other Colonial Spanish registries had offered to help, but now it's too late.
Yes, you're right... Do you think Capella is alive? I heard that, ago one year or 2, ASCH members saw him from air , but with a horse near... what do you think?:-|

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
If the horse is fundamentally a barb, then an interested party will most likely find "an immigrant" in rural Spain. The only question is: where? - but the Spaniards are very care to protect their native breeds.

But I'd first make contact with the Spanish Riding School of Equestrian Art in Jerez. Colour photos will help identify a matching strain.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
If only outcrossing had been allowed the breed might have had a chance at increasing its numbers. As much as I would like to believe it, I highly doubt Capella is alive since he hasn't been seen for several years.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.