The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off- a tip to parents. If you plan on getting a horse for your child, don't get a foal when they are still a baby. On paper, it sounds good ("aww, they'll grow up together!), but you have no idea what they like (they might think your favorite color is the ugliest thing in the world, ect ); most likely, you'll end up with a kid who has no attachment to his horse. This happened to me.
But recently, I finally got the chance to choose a horse of my own! My neighbor always has a crop of well-bred foals, though he doesn't ride anymore; and he had the most beautiful bay filly. I named her Xochi:
20190613_154501.jpg
One thing I was kind of worried about: I love bays. Xochi's mother, however, is grey. However, I have heard that a bay foal with tawny legs would stay bay. My neighbor was skeptical, and thought she would be grey. But, after weeks with nary a grey hair, he changed his mind. But lo and behold, I walk out to see her one day and:
20190613_154501.jpg
I was kind of dissapointed, but I was sure she would still be beautiful. I wasn't able to see her for a couple weeks after that. Finally, I'm able to see my baby again! So I walk out, and:
20190613_154501.jpg
Luckily I like roans :)

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
12,656 Posts
It is possible she is roan and grey. The grey hid the roan on the parent and I never remember which interferes with which but the two together can make for a speeding up (?) slowing of the process. Considering the amount of white on her back legs I would suspect grey along with the roan. Either way really pretty little girl. Much happiness I wish you with her!

Yes, no foals for baby and child to grow together. Hard talk I had to have with my brother. Still didn't talk him out of it but was able to choose the foal and insist on gelding as they were bent on a black stallion for my niece. Then they discovered everything they should have known and would have if they would have listened to reason. Horse stayed with me for 4 years because they weren't prepared. They would bring her down to visit baby every summer.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Aww, you got a red roan! For cow/ranch horses, that's a hugely popular color, along with blue roan and bay roan.

Also, WELL MET fellow okie! I'm in Atoka! I'm about 3 hours south of you, straight down US 75. We actually live in Tushka, just south of Atoka.

What's the origin of her name, btw? Spanish?

·
Registered
7,564 Posts
This is one I would love to see color testing on. As a foal, I would have said she was red, not bay and likely grey as she is hyperpigmented and has lighter color around her coronary bands. However, in the older pics she seems to have dark ear tips, which would mean bay. So is that just the grey gene causing maximum coloring before the pigment loss? Roan can cause some mild hyperpigmentation at birth and tends to slow down the greying process. She will be a fun one to watch as she matures!

What color is the sire? Do you know what color the mare was before she went grey?

·
Super Moderator
12,656 Posts
I was going off the ear tips as well for bay. Hadn't looked that close at the feet. So yes could be hyperpigmented chestnut with roan and grey or bay with roan and I still think gray from current pics. Lighting though may be throwing a curve into perception.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Now that I've looked closer, I'm going with Bay roan. Her black socks are coming in, tips of ears are black.

This is Red, my daughter's Bay Roan who is now three. The foal pictures were taken from her listing when she was for sale from the breeder.

The darker sorrel/chestnut color on her back is the last of her baby hair, the color she was when she was born. Pictures below are as a 3 year old and taken by us, on our place.

Reactions: Hyaenidae

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is one I would love to see color testing on. As a foal, I would have said she was red, not bay and likely grey as she is hyperpigmented and has lighter color around her coronary bands. However, in the older pics she seems to have dark ear tips, which would mean bay. So is that just the grey gene causing maximum coloring before the pigment loss? Roan can cause some mild hyperpigmentation at birth and tends to slow down the greying process. She will be a fun one to watch as she matures!

What color is the sire? Do you know what color the mare was before she went grey?
Her mother was flaxen chesnut.
From what I understand, if a foal is born the "adult" version of its color (ex: bay foal with black stockings) it will turn grey, but if it's born the normal baby version of the color (like Xochi) it will stay that color.
She is definitely bay. Her legs are starting to turn black, and her mane and tail were jet-black when she was born. It's getting lighter bairs in it now, but it will turn black again as she gets older and loses all the baby hairs.

·
Registered
7,564 Posts
From what I understand, if a foal is born the "adult" version of its color (ex: bay foal with black stockings) it will turn grey, but if it's born the normal baby version of the color (like Xochi) it will stay that color.
This is generally true. And certainly if she had black on her legs at birth, that would have been straightforward as bay with grey.

What was throwing me off from the foal picture was the lighter color around her coronary bands - that is normally a trait of red horses. Red can come in shades so dark it is mistaken for black, so a red foal with grey could look black from the hyperpigmentation. I wonder if the roan (which can also cause some hyperpigmentation at birth) somehow accounts for those lighter bands around the feet as I agree she sure looks bay now.

Any idea on the color of the sire's parents? Do you know if he's had other roan offspring and what color they are? Since roan is linked to extension, if he's only ever had roan foals who are red, that would be another fun piece of the puzzle.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Okay, so I had to look up the meaning of her name.

xochitl
A name from the country of Mexico that comes from the Nahuatl culture.
The meaning in general is flower.
From the Mayan culture means princess of the flowers.
From the Aztec culture means water flower.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.