The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As this has come up in another discussion, and it's been soooo dry here for so long, there have been a lot of horses with excess sole, so I thought I'd take some piccies to share. As I'm one who does not generally trim sole & frog material, taking off as much as this is relatively unusual for me to pare so much, esp in one hit. I generally leave as much dead sole wherever possible, as extra protection, but on these feet, it's a great illustration of how much excess wall there is that was otherwise 'disguised'. And how the overgrown tip of the frog was quite a bit in front of the true apex, and how much thrush was hiding under the flaps on the sides of the frog.

This pony has just come to me on rehab with 'sub clinical laminitis' and he has not been trimmed in about 8 weeks. He was trimmed then by someone who removed no sole or frog at all, and told the owner there had been little growth since the trim about 10 weeks before that, because walls were hardly longer than the sole.

So... Even after the layer of really loose stuff - I prised that off with the end of the rasp - was removed, there was little *obvious* overgrowth. But I could see there was a bit more to come away, and his bars needed addressing, so got to with the hoof knife... & there was a thick dead layer beneath the first that came away easily. First pic front foot is after I prised away loose. First hind is untouched.

Especially in the hind feet, once the excess was trimmed & apex of frog found, you can see just how much more 'run forward' the toes look - they were obviously a bit stretched but didn't look terribly bad before sole/frog trim. (Disregard the lateral imbalance in these hinds, as the pony has varus fetlocks, his foot imbalance comes from that limb deformity) 'After pics' are obviously rough - there is still plenty of dead sole there, but I didn't feel the need to remove any more for now. Ditto the frogs. Only removed enough to prevent more 'hidey holes' for thrush really, and establish where the true tip of the frog was.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
16,046 Posts
My farrier was trimming a horse from Eire, he called me over and showed me the whole sole had come away in one piece. Obviously there had been an infection that had run under the sole to cause this.

·
Premium Member
23,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I've had that on a couple of occasions, due to massive subsolar abscesses. Including my donkey years ago when I was just learning all this... & he 'blew off' the whole sole... that was a 'rude awakening'!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.