The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I trimmed my horses feet this weekend and I thought people would be interested to see the results. I am open to commentary on how I did, what I could do differently, etc. I'm not an expert nor have a ton of experience in this.

Here's the photos, there's a lot so I put them in here:
https://www.horseforum.com/members/98817/album/dodge-hoof-4-21-19-18141/

A little about the horse, he is a 15hh mustang that I 'rescued' in December 2017. He went to a small mustang makeover as a 5 year old and was adopted by some people I know. He changes hands and eventually the horse got hurt and no care was given, so I bought him because he has a personality, is challenging, and out of pity for the condition he was in after I had gotten to know him over the prior 3 years. He had not had his hooves picked regularly if at all in those years before I got him.

Pretty sure he has high/low, but only from my observations, experience, talking with others. I try to manage that. I have also been letting his heels spread apart on one foot to try and fix the crushed cleft in his heels, and so he doesn't develop another case of awful central sulcus thrush like he had when I got him.

For this trim I started a week ago getting rid of the loose sole and frog flaps. I didn't clean it out fully because he likes some left on. I try to clear sole out a bit more around the heels so that they are more flexible and don't get too tall/crushed. I also removed the bars.
When I had more free time I went back and leveled the wall across the hoof. Then I prop his hooves up and I dress them from the top to get rid of flare, pull the toe back, and dress the quarters. Then I go back and check to see if the hoof is balanced, and how the horse walks. Sometimes I go back a few days later if I notice something I didn't before.
Then, when I think they look ok, I take pictures and double check to see if what I see in the pictures matches what I see in person. That's where I'm at now. I've already noticed some areas where I can make some adjustments from the photos.

Since it's fun to learn I thought I'd post the pictures here for others to take a look at too.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.