The Horse Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my local feed store started carrying Triple Crown feeds. It's about the same price as they sell Safechoice, what I'm feeding currently, and I'm curious as to whether it's a better feed or pretty much the same?

What are y'alls thoughts on Triple Crown, specifically the Senior formula?

·
Registered
825 Posts
Well I just started feeding Triple Crown Senior to my mare at the beginning of the month, since she decided for some reason she wasn’t going to eat Nutrena Safechoice Senior anymore (makes me wonder if they changed the formula so it smells different or something as she refuses to touch it)

She’s gobbling down the Triple Crown though. I mix it in with her hay pellets and soak it all. My first horse used to get the senior years ago and it really helped him maintain weight. It’s beet-pulp based rather than containing corn like the Nutrena senior does. Very similar prices too as I think the Nutrena went up a couple of dollars at TSC.

·
Registered
10,567 Posts
I haven’t fed anything out of a bag since 2014, as one horse is IR and the other one is an easy keeper and could go that way at his age.

That said, Triple Crown has a fixed formula. That means the ingredients list on the bag is always the same to get to their guaranteed analysis.

All companies have a guaranteed analysis BUT their ingredients lest changes because their loophole is the phrase “by-product(s)”. That means a company can use any scrappy part of the plant to get to the GA.

Its why TC products do cost a little more than others - Value Received, You Get What You Pay For:):)

Reactions: gottatrot

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Absolutely LOVE and will always love Triple Crown feeds, especially the Senior! My old man (rest his soul) was on Sentinel Senior and did well until he crossed the 30yr age mark and then he started losing. I changed him to Triple Crown as per my vet's recommendation and he started gaining. Once he was unable to eat hay I added in some alphalfa pellets and he held his weight BEAUTIFULLY.

I have my current two on Triple Crown, my 23yr old QH is on straight Triple Crown Senior and my 12yr old Appaloosa is on a half a can of Triple Crown Senior and the rest Triple Crown Lite. I am always getting compliments on how shiny and healthy their coats and hooves are. Not to mention any time I have had to interact with their customer service (mostly questions) it has always been a pleasure. And they have a nice thing where if you send them the proof of purchase from 12 bags you get a $25 visa gift card.

I will always make sure I budget around TC feeds because to me they are more than worth it!

·
Super Moderator
14,708 Posts
A secret I learned many years ago is to look at the label...the ingredients label.
If it is printed paper and sewn into the end of the bag closure your feed is not the same set ingredients as those feeds that are printed on a bag back itself.
I would not say those that have a sewn-on printed label are all junk, but you need to read that ingredient list and understand what it is you are reading.
Understanding what it shows in breakdown of individual parts of the recipe is needed too...
Be a informed consumer and feeder of our equine friends.

Now that Triple Crown feed is processed at Purina Mills plants I am not a staunch advocate against that feed.
My objection to it for years was the fact it was made in the same plant that did ruminant feed and ionophores were in many of those feeds was a danger to our horses for poisoning.
Today, made in the Purina plant or a line that is separate, no ionophores are on the premise stopped the chance of poisoning and death terrible to our equine friends.
Purina Mills makes in their plants many other manufacturers feeds today for the same reason TC {parent company is Southern States} went to Purina...
By me in Florida, we have horse feed dedicated entire mills as the equine population is so great in our state & region.
Tractor Supply by me now carries TC feeds and actually most of the better feeds are very near in cost brand to brand, style to style if you look.
Good food costs money to make...if you are seeing a significant savings I would be looking to see why such a savings is able to be accomplished yet offer my horses the best possible in commercial feed.

Sadly, my one horse does not do well without commercial prepared feed...he withers away to starvation without pushing many extra calories into him that high quality feed does and he needs...
Beet pulp nor anything else offers enough of what he needs we found.
We did all the blood chemistry and exams first to see if or what it was...he just requires more calories than any forage base product can give him to eat a day.
As said, be informed a consumer and advocate for proper feeding of your animal and choose wisely.
🐴...

·
Registered
205 Posts
I fed my hot tb gelding the TC senior and absolutely loved it! He didn’t get hotter on it, held fantastic body condition even hauling most weekends to races and was so shiny!
And recently bought a 17yr old ex western pleasure mare and put her on it as well

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think I will try switching Mocha to the Triple Crown Senior and see how she does. Worse case I just switch her back to the Safechoice later

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I have used TC senior for rehabbing rescue horses for over 20 years and for many of my own seniors. It is a fantastic grain and I truly feel saved many lives of horses I have work on.
It was the only thing my elderly stallion would eat for nearly a decade and I lost him at 38. So he would eat a lot of it as a complete feed.

·
Registered
48 Posts
So my local feed store started carrying Triple Crown feeds. It's about the same price as they sell Safechoice, what I'm feeding currently, and I'm curious as to whether it's a better feed or pretty much the same?

Triple Crown Sr. is my all-time favorite feed for pretty much any horse (doesn't have to be a senior horse). It's grain free, packed with fat and fiber, every horse I've fed it to absolutely loves it, and you can't really overfeed it since it can be used to replace their grain and hay ration (though there are maximums to be fed per serving and replacing all feed and forage with TC Sr. would be hella expensive!).

It's just full of good stuff. One of the safest feeds there is. That 11% NSC is nice.

·
Super Moderator
10,039 Posts
I like it. I feed triple crown senior to my horses of any age during our times of hard work. I add calf manna to their ration if they need it during those times.

I like that it's a product I can find when traveling and the quality seems consistent.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts