The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what excersices I can do to stop my horse from tripping? She's fairly green but when you ride her she just trips all the time even falling over sometimes.
Her feet are fine and her saddle fits.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
If all health issues have been ruled out, then I'd suggest introducing your horse to ground poles and doing slow trail rides on rougher terrains. That really helped my horse who used to be a HUGE tripper. Now he knows where his feet go and has learned to be sure-footed.
How young is she? Maybe you just have to give her more time.

Reactions: Corporal

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
I suggest you discuss light pole work training with your trainer or somebody experienced and be patient. 4 - that is VERY young and it is absolutely normal that your horse is not sure-footed yet.

·
Registered
5,836 Posts

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
how much work has she had undersaddle ? is she getting her feet trimmed/shod regularly ?

if they arent pretty sure footed by 4 just from being in the field, i would look at how shes being trimmed first, then look to training.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Fairly green is establish walk and trot totally in and out of an arena, but no canter as of yet. She has probably had in total maybe 6 months under saddle roughly. She does get her feet done regularly and the farrier is very good. :)
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
i would talk to the farrier about his tripping.

why has he not cantered undersaddle yet ?

·
Registered
83 Posts
I echo the pole work---at walk & trot (of course after medical reasons & hoof evaluation has taken place!)

It has helped my Belgian draft mare tremendously! She used to be a frequent tripper & she hardly does it anymore since we've been working with our trainer & the poles.

I circle her at walk & trot over 1 pole...then 2 (2 really get her to pick up her feet!).

I also run with her (she trots next to me) over poles going straight.

It's really helped her & she is very fancy & coordinated now!

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Because we havent started cantering yet, our priority was to try and stop the tripping first so she doesn't injure somebody or herself. We will be getting the farrier out again soon now :)
Thanks for the advice Jenni May
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
Because we havent started cantering yet, our priority was to try and stop the tripping first so she doesn't injure somebody or herself. We will be getting the farrier out again soon now :)
Thanks for the advice Jenni May
Posted via Mobile Device
I wouldn't be too keen to canter a tripper either.
Ask your farrier if she is landing toe first, my horse did & it was a simple fix.

·
Registered
17,077 Posts
why has he not cantered undersaddle yet ?
Unbalanced horse + tripping is very dangerous. Better to wait till the tripping is fixed before pushing for the canter. My horse tripped and slammed his nose into the ground when I asked for a canter once. We were both fine, but that's why it's important to help them balance via half halts and having your weight positioned correctly!

My horse is 10 and just learned how to canter under saddle.

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
Unbalanced horse + tripping is very dangerous. Better to wait till the tripping is fixed before pushing for the canter. My horse tripped and slammed his nose into the ground when I asked for a canter once. We were both fine, but that's why it's important to help them balance via half halts and having your weight positioned correctly!

My horse is 10 and just learned how to canter under saddle.

it just seems odd to me to wait so long to canter. with many horses, canter work can improve their trot.

·
Registered
890 Posts
This will be an odd question, but does she need farrier work? My trainer is having the farrier out after noticing that Sam had tripped a few times. I just had him done 6 weeks ago, so you wouldn't think it would be bad enough to trip him.

Just a thought.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.