8,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,821 (Edited)
Continued:

Then there were rock pools and sheets of granite:

Brett found a seashell with a float:

We kept on working our way further west:

Another seashell with built-in flotation device:

And more rock pools:

After exploring the rock pools, we went around a headland until we discovered a little hidden beach. That will be the next instalment. 😊

·
Registered
8,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,822
Continued:

...and after following the rocky shoreline around, we came upon this little hidden beach:

This was the view back towards Conspicuous Cliff, the beach and the granite shore with the rock pools:

...and that's the view towards the ocean, halfway along the point to the little hidden beach:

The dog was playful, so I'd clambered ahead while Eileen was busy taking gorgeous photographs. We were enjoying the little hidden beach:

Eileen was making her way down, taking in the view back towards the ocean as she went:

Jess was happy to see her:

...and totally delighted in this little "playground" - she loves water, waves, beach sand, and exploring a new place. None of us had ever been to this place before!

We found a little cave:

I borrowed the camera to take some photos of Eileen.

Then I went to play with Jess, who was looking for a partner in frivolities - and Eileen captured some lovely photos of what followed:

On the above photo, I'm "chasing" her - and then I conspicuously turn around and it's her turn. Watch her:

·
Registered
8,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,823 (Edited)
Continued:

...and then she comes pelting towards me...

...until, tag!

It's funny how so many animals know how to play this game.

We had another few rounds:

...tag!

Off she went to chase the waves:

She really is a lovely dog.

Playing in the surf again...

...then ambling up to keep us company.

Happy dog...

Another game?

·
Registered
8,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,824
Continued:

Indeed, more games - but this time, it's the monkeys playing...

Then we headed back...

...and climbed the lookout on the cliff...

And that's the end of the photos from Conspicuous Cliff and the surrounding shoreline. More of that day trip when I get a chance to process more photos. Hope you enjoyed your vicarious little trip to Australia! 😀

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Those photos are beautiful! I especially like how the wet sand glistens.

·
Registered
8,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,827
The reflections in the wet sand are always magic, @Knave! :) And yes, @Spanish Rider, as a native European I still boggle at all that unspoilt coastline and the tracts of wilderness. However, I don't live near a major city - all the West Coast is looking like the southern Spanish coast these days in terms of population density... on the South Coast we are thankfully relatively remote to all that.

Continuing on with the road trip - after a picnic lunch in Walpole (lentil/beetroot/feta/walnut salad we'd brought from home, sourdough ryebread from the Denmark Bakery, and sesame "cocoons" for dessert courtesy of Eileen) we were back on the road:

I had this idea that we could get to Mt Chudalup near Windy Harbour, if there was a sealed road along the coast to take us there and we didn't have to go all the way around and back down again on the main highway. So we went to see if the road in question was good... and this is what we got:

...a warning that the 50km road in question was 4WD only! So, we decided to head to the Mt Frankland National Park instead.

Fernhook Falls

Some maps list it as Fernbrook Falls, but the information signs there said Fernhook Falls.

It's wildflower season:

The we got back in the car, and stopped on the bridge over the falls on the way to Mt Frankland.

·
Registered
8,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,829

Then we had to get the dog back down the ladder-stairs, which is when Eileen took this film:

We went back the "long way around" circling the mountain on a proper rough trail:

Next time, a few photos of Walpole Inlet on the way home!

·
Registered
8,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,830
Walpole Inlet

Last stop on our road trip was Walpole Inlet, which is pretty and has house boats, some of which are for hire for holidaymakers. I've always thought it would be lovely to spend a long weekend puttering along on a house boat...

The floating jetty:

Slipway:

On the jetty:

House boats:

Inlet vistas:

And Eileen taking some photos of herself and Jess on the way home:

Really good day out, and hoping to do another get-together early 2021! :)

Meanwhile, back at the coal face, I'm still trying to prepare the spring garden better for the coming summer. The cucumbers are still refusing to sprout, even in the greenhouse; I wonder if I need to put a pot indoors for them. Nights are still too cold; the zucchini I planted out are still sulking, as are most of the pumpkin seedlings, although one is taking off well. Tomato plants got out early this year and are looking excellent - the first batch are knee-high and flowering already. Must tie them today, and plant out another batch of seedlings in a bed I cleared for them yesterday, which had a large Siberian Kale in it. I cannot recommend Siberian Kale - we love the Scotch Dwarf Blue and the Tuscan Kale, but this stuff is coarse and any soup or stew you put it in smells like a carcass the next morning. :sick: I still have seeds I could give to someone else, but maybe I should just bin them, instead of inflicting that plant on someone else... (who knows though, some people must like Siberian Kale or it wouldn't have survived as a horticultural option...)

All the lettuces and salad greens are wanting to bolt within weeks of being planted out as seedlings, so I've got another batch to do... and want to start more beans in the greenhouse, first batch is out and slowly growing...

2821 - 2830 of 2830 Posts