The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys my horse is still havin trouble learning how to trot correctly instead of pace. (She is a standardbred) is there anyway I could use trotting poles to help her get the stride. Both on the straight and corners?
Thanks could use the help it's becoming really frustrating :(
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
17,077 Posts
Yes, you can set them up with enough distance in between and then slowly decrease the difference. Practice walking over them first, then ask for a trot.

But remember she is naturally gaited.

·
Registered
17,293 Posts
If you have enough, set the poles in a circle with about a 3' dia. circle in the middle. Fan them out evenly. This way you can move the horse nearer or farther out, depending on the gait, without having to move them. You may be "beating a dead horse" in trying to get her to trot as she's a natural pacer. Her muscles have been developed for lateral movement and your asking for diagonal. There are standardbred trotters which would have the same difficulties if forced to pace.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
If she's a pacer, why not just let her pace? It seems silly to try and teach her to do something when she has been brought up and muscled another way.

But, as others have posted, you can use ground poles to encourage the trot.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks guys, i know it sounds weird but I'm used to trotting, a pace seems really hard to ride for me, but i think that I'm just gonna have to deal with it :) thanks for all your help

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
If you really want him to trot then this book will help you. Robyn Cuffey has be retraining standardbreds for years and is active in the SPHO of Maine.

Books - Photo Finish Farm

Retraining the Harness Racehorse

by Mary Anne Donovan-Wright & Robyn Cuffey
"At last, an easy, step-by-step guide to retraining harness racehorses for pleasure use is available for Standardbred owners... although books on training abound, none were specifically geared towards Standardbreds and their strengths and weaknesses until now. Both authors bring years of Standardbred retraining experiences to the work, and share them throughout the book."

http://sphomaine.net/

Me...I'd teach him to gait. But that's just me.

If you can get him to trot at all it's going to take a lot of trail miles to train his muscles to the desired gait. If you have a place with lots of long, low hills even better. Hold him in the gait you want, he breaks gait, slow him down and get back in gait and try to hold him there. Over and over and over until it becomes habit.
-

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.