The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am VERY happy that I have everything sorted out from a technological point of view and my foaling cams are now connected to Mare Stare ... :)

The link is:

Cam List - Mare Stare

Scroll down to the True Colours Farm icon and click on it which will take you to the webcam in Pearlescent's stall

Looking at the camera angle, I know I have to change it tomorrow so that the entire stall is more visible, but this is going to have to do for tonight!

Please do let me know if you notice anything that I should be aware of. The numbers are posted on the Mare Stare website and believe me - I wont mind a phone call at all, if I happen to be sleeping through something I should be aware of! :)

Pearl is officially due on April 18th - today is Day 316 - but she looks like she may well go early so thats why I am starting foal watch this early with her. I would think in the next 7-10 days she will probably foal but we all know how sneaky mares can be!

Once Pearl foals, we'll switch to the camera in Puchi Trap's stall and foal watch will begin on her at that time (she is due on May 19th). Next year we'll have the 4 camera's hooked up and we'll be able to access them simultaneously instead of having to switch from one to the other

My bulletin board will also be up and operational on the Mare Stare website in the next day or so, and I'd love to have you drop in and post your comments as well!

So many thanks if any of you are able to peek in every once in awhile, especially during the times when it is nightfall over here and someone may be in a different time zone ... or you are simply a night owl and like staying up all through the night for some reason! :)

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
Oh ya! I love marestare. I just watched a Warmblood mare give birth the other night. Was the first time I got to call somebody : )

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

·
Registered
851 Posts
Oh my goodness! You are just around the corner from me - I live about 30 min drive from you!
Your stud is a hunk BTW! I'll be starring...

·
Registered
851 Posts
OK...purely out of curiosity because you obviously know a lot about colour and I think it's cool...
What colour would I get if I crossed my dunskin filly with your stud? I'm pretty sure she's dunskin - she is buckskin but has webbing on her face and a light dorsal stripe.
Again, just curious!

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
According to the Color Calculator site:

Offspring Color Probability

14.58% -
Perlino Dun
14.58% -
Perlino
14.58% -
Dunskin
14.58% -
Buckskin
8.33% -
Palomino
8.33% -
Dunalino
8.33% -
Cremello Dun
8.33% -
Cremello
2.08% -
Smoky Grullo
2.08% -
Smoky Cream Dun
2.08% -
Smoky Cream
2.08% -
Smoky Black
Thats too funny!

Oh my goodness! You are just around the corner from me - I live about 30 min drive from you!
Your stud is a hunk BTW! I'll be starring...
Where are you located? You'll have to stop by if you are in the area. We are about 5 minutes north of Waterford ... :)

·
Registered
851 Posts
I'm in St. George. I take my little one to play group in warerford a few times a month. Hubby and I have looked at property in Wilsonville! We could be neighbours!
How cool would a perlino dun be??

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We could be neighbours!
You are VERY close! I love the St George area as well ...

How cool would a perlino dun be??
VERY neat indeed! You dont see many of those around at all ... :wink:

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
No they were awake but not watching the cam. Luckily they got out there right as the mare pushed the nose out. I think your camera angle is fine. Better than most on there. Right now I'm watching Sonesta Farms. Mare looks kind of agitated.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think your camera angle is fine. Better than most on there
Interesting! I am going to try angling it more into the stall and see if that is better. The funny thing (to me anyhow) is the stall looks SO small from the camera angle! Its 16' across the front and almost 13' deep, but in the camera it looks about 8 x 8 at best! :lol:

No they were awake but not watching the cam. Luckily they got out there right as the mare pushed the nose out.
That IS so great that you were able to let them know! Mare Stare is great for exactly that reason ... :)

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
may I ask what type of camera you used? And how expensive it was?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I cant remember the camera brand offhand (I bought 3 of them from 2 different places) but the last one we bought at either Future Shop or Best Buy - cant remember which one it was. It was around $100.00 per camera and for about $50.00 more you got the sender and receiver units as well

I found the sender/receivers didnt work well in our case, as we were at almost the maximum 300' distance and wind, rain, the microwave, the x box all affected the signal badly. So today we had the fellows come with some gizmo that was plugged into an electrical outlet in the barn and in the house and the house one was connected to our wireless router and the barn one direct to the computer in there, so the camera's now go direct into the Dazzle unit, into the computer and onto the Internet and there is "0" interference

I will probably upgrade the camera's but that will be next year and I will also get a splitter, so all 4 camera's can be viewed at the same time, but thats next year as well... :)

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just as an update, we have calcium milk levels between 250-500 as of last night which usually indicates foaling within 24-48 hours. She was VERY restless last night and this morning we finally have wax as well ...:)

Her ph levels were high last night but I will re-test them when they come in today and see where we are at.

Added to this we have thunderstorms on the horizon for today and tomorrow so I am pretty certain she will decide to foal shortly. She is at Day 329 today ...

The Mare Stare link for Pearlescent is - once again -

True Colours Farm Cam 1

Any and all extra "eyes" would be VERY much appreciated! :)

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What do you guys think? Here are the pictures of him this morning and a VERY crude attempt at putting Baby Pearl on top and him on the bottom in the last picture in the same age range ...

and his little dorsal stripe:

and:

and:

and:

and last (Baby Pearl is on top and the colt is on the bottom):

I do remember that baby Pearl was a LOT lighter when she was born but we have seen a huge range of colour variations within cremello coats - I wonder if perlino coats are the same? They can also range from light to dark and everything in between???

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
Oh gosh He is adorable! When I was watching the birth I was wondering what color he'd be. He looked so much darker on the cam.

·
Registered
699 Posts
He's sooo cuuuttteeee!!! What are you thinking of naming him?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
His owner in Germany will decide on a name for him and I think she wants to wait until the colour genetic tests get back before she decides for sure

Okay - here are the first "outside" pictures taken of the colt. The inside ones really didnt show how dark he is compared to his dam, I guess due to the flash going off and lightening up his coat when it did

I am still thinking very much that he is a smoky cream

Thoughts?

and:

and:

and:

and one of Pearl minus the "baby weight" ! :)

And he is VERY dark ShutIpJoe - he came out the colour of chocolate milk with charcoal undertones. A VERY different colour!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.