The Horse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Now that college is finally over I've finally gotten more free to work on some art projects. Lately, I've gotten into sculpting after a friend game me some clay. So far I've made a 6" clay horse, a 4" inch wax horse, and a finally a traditional scale horse out of super sculpey.

Here are some pictures of the sculpey horse that I'm working on; he's very much a work in progress so I could really use some critique. There's something about his neck and overall height/length ratio that I think might be off so I'd really appreciate any suggestions. I'll be posting some pictures of the other two soon, and hopefully some more in-progress pictures of this one as he progresses. :)

·
Registered
359 Posts
Wow, very nice :)

I'd have to agree, I don't see anything wrong with the proportion, but I'm the first to admit I don't have the best eye.

looking forward to updates, i think it's great so far. x

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Sweet! I admire you people with the ability to do such thing.
I guess breyer is selling kits for stuff like this. I might try it to see how it goes

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
Great job! It will be gorgeous! Clay work is the one thing i never got the hang of lol though i really really love the look of it

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone, I'm completely new to clay so it's definitely been a learning experience. :) I'm not even working from a specific reference picture so I hope I can find one to look at for muscles sometime soon. Well, I'm planning on working on it all day tomorrow so I can hopefully post some more updates in the next couple days.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Your new to clay? Woww, this is really really good! Better than anything I could do with years of practice!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here are a few more pictures of horse sculptures I've been working on. The medium is actually wax from cheese packaging, but it's pretty easy to work with, and it's free!

This was my first try at making a horse, he's about the size of a Breyer stablemate.

After taking some pictures, I decided to completely resculpt him into an Arabian. I wish I could have kept both but I'm much happier with the second try. I will be keeping this one the way it is, but I hope to make more eventually!

·
Registered
49,245 Posts
So cute.! Hope he doesn't melt in the sun! Cheese wax, like from those little ones called Bonney Bells or something like that?

·
Registered
359 Posts
Haha, I love the cheese wax one....I used to try and make stuff out of the wax from cheese too. Never as good as that though. I'd love to try again one of these days...

·
Banned
12,825 Posts
And here I toss my cheese wax into the trash.

Wow, impressive.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
i remember when i used to go to school (yes used to... im homeschooled now!) mum would give me baby bell cheese (thats the kind of cheese you were thinking of tiny liny) and it would have that red wax on it.
I would use to play with it and spend the WHOLE recess making horses out of it... the horses kinda looked like a dead, roadkill, squashed, disabled horse... but apart from that it looked awesome! LOL

·
Banned
1,863 Posts
Your horse sculptures look amazing!!! Much more talent in them than the "snakes" I made out of clay in art class :lol:

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
haha!!

when i was in kinda we got tro make our lunch. Our teacher would give us dough and i would ALWAYS make a snake or a snail!! (the two easiest things in the world lol)
Oh wait... i think once i made a face!! (i put my doll's face into the dough and molded it!!!!!!)

·
Registered
14,153 Posts
I like your sculptures, very much so. Next time you make a wax horse, I would put a wick in it. You have talent!

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
The only dritique I have is that the line from wither to poll, over the crest, seems a bit long. Mybe it is only because the mane stops quite early, giving it a looong bridle path - But that is how Arabs have it, so may have been the intent!

But seriously, amazing.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you everyone for the comments and suggestions! Yes, the wax is from Baby Bell cheese wrappers, lol. I'm surprised that so many other people have tried sculpting with them! I made sure to put it in the freezer before taking pictures in the sun, but even then it started drooping after only a couple minutes.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts