The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, so I'm taking a hrse on trial for a month.
She's a beautiful, very well conformed 16.1hh chestnut mare. Not sure of her breeding but I think she's a thoroughbred. She's 5 years old and hasnt been jumped before. She' been ridden on roads, lunged and done groundwork.

She's very friendly, likes people, but she can be quite bossy and a bit misbehaved. When leading her, she is quite strong and tries going her own way and she's not very good at staying still either. What's the best way of dealing with this?

EDIT: Also, when she gets distracted and wants to do something her own way, she doesnt have a problem walking right through someone.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
With an appy that the lady I ride with has, she does a lot of walking and then stopping with her from the ground. She's a major boss mare, so she will try to push and she's been getting better since we've been doing this with her. Just making her stop every time you stop. So, take a few steps....stop. Take a few steps, stop. If she pushes past you, she has to go back and start over. Ex: if she was being taken to her stall to eat, or being taken back out to the pasture. With staying still, I usually just won't let them go til they stand willingly, then give her her head and let her go forward. Practice a lot of transitions and such so that she's paying attention to what YOU want.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
She sounds really nice, besides the part where she is bossing people around...

One thing I have learnt, NEVER let a horse get away with deliberately bossing or pushing you around. When I was still scared and inexperienced with horses, I allowed them to push me around, but now I would never allow them to do that anymore.

Show them who's boss from the beginning. Very, very important. :smile:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.