The Horse Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am about 5-6 months into riding English, rode western all my life, and while I had amazing help in the beginning fitting my weird shape-shifting narrow gelding, the opposite situation rises... fitting my wide mare..

She has so much potential being a hunter/jumper (I've jumped her bareback for months) so I want to get her a saddle that will fit so I can take her out to hunter paces.

She is a Percheron x Quarter Horse cross, buggy pulls and rides. She has a wide back, needs to be worked into shape but she's always been wide. I am super paranoid about buying a used saddle and coming to find out the gullet is too wide/narrow for her, and no one that I know has wider saddles so I've begun to look at simple synthetic saddles to just see how it sits her and if it's not right return it.

I've tried the bendable hanger method... got a rough estimate of 6.5" - 7"
I've been on FB and Ebay pretty much 24/7 looking at different used saddles that people have, but like I said, I'm super paranoid about getting a saddle and having it not fit her properly...

Any recommendations :|

·
Super Moderator
12,663 Posts
Look at Pelham Saddlery and see what they have then take pics and tracings to send if needed. Or Smith Worthington. They have a few used and some demo saddles depending on your budget. Also have a less expensive brand that is theirs. We have two and love them both. One came from Pelham the other from SW. The one from SW was sent after I bought the one from Pelham. SW will custom fit and the saddles have a wide range of adjustments possible. Not just gullet. We loved the demo saddle sent so much and it was fitted perfectly by tracings and pictures we bought it and sent the other to be adjusted. The first is used on a draft x. The other on our bulldog built QHs.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Smartpack does trials on saddles> I have a hard to fit Polish arabian ( wide ) and found his dressage saddle there. I got the Throwgood T4 cob and he loves it.
You have a few days to try the saddle and can send it back (free shipping) if it does not fit. It worked out great for me.

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
Can you try on a variety of saddles? Do any of your friends have a wide saddle you could borrow? That will at least give you an idea of what to look for in terms of width and brands. Whatever you do, make sure you can do a trial with a used saddle. It is a huge headache - I know all about it!

·
Registered
7,717 Posts
So I am about 5-6 months into riding English, rode western all my life, and while I had amazing help in the beginning fitting my weird shape-shifting narrow gelding, the opposite situation rises... fitting my wide mare..

She has so much potential being a hunter/jumper (I've jumped her bareback for months) so I want to get her a saddle that will fit so I can take her out to hunter paces.

She is a Percheron x Quarter Horse cross, buggy pulls and rides. She has a wide back, needs to be worked into shape but she's always been wide. I am super paranoid about buying a used saddle and coming to find out the gullet is too wide/narrow for her, and no one that I know has wider saddles so I've begun to look at simple synthetic saddles to just see how it sits her and if it's not right return it.

I've tried the bendable hanger method... got a rough estimate of 6.5" - 7"
I've been on FB and Ebay pretty much 24/7 looking at different used saddles that people have, but like I said, I'm super paranoid about getting a saddle and having it not fit her properly...

Any recommendations :|

Both Smartpak (as mentioned) and Dover do free trials on certain saddles. That could be one route to explore!

Are you taking lessons at all? For myself, that's how I found my English saddle. My trainer had other people she knew that were willing to let me try their saddle on my horse. When I finally found one that worked, then I found a used one online.

Or.... it's a pain, but you can buy/sell used saddles until you find the right one! Of course, that could take forever and cost on the shipping (not ideal for sure).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts