The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I look into Buzz's eyes, there are brown cauliflower looking objects in the pupils of his eyes. At first I disregarded it, but then I noticed the shadows that they were casting in the sunlight. They're in both eyes. He doesn't act like his vision is impaired but these things are huge, there's no way it doesn't cause problems.

The equine massage therapist that was working on him today saw them too and definitely agreed he needs to be seen by the vet.

I'm just devastated. Buzz has been everything I ever wanted in a horse. I can't bear the thought he's in pain or discomfort.

Anyone dealt with this? Had a good outcome? :-(

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
I think what you are describing is normal. The best way to tell is to look at another horses eyes.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've never seen these in another horse's eyes. I even went around the the 11 other horses in the barn at the time and their pupils were all clear.

These come up out of the interior of the eye, through the pupil and almost touch the lens.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Unfort we can't tell you whether or not they are tumours but I would definitely get him a vet ASAP because sometimes these things can be treated early.

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
I've seen them in many, many horses. I agree that they are normal - All the horses I have seen with them have zero sight issues. But hey, if your worried, calling a vet won't do any harm.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Really????? I sure hope so!
I'm waiting on the vet to call me back tomorrow. He doesn't seem to be bothered by them but I just want to make sure.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok I found a picture that looks kind of similar. Of course, he doesn't have the cataract (white film in his pupil) but the brown globby thing at the top of his pupil is similar, except that his are in the center of his pupils.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Those are absolutely normal. My mare has had them for a very long time (since she was born) and has never had a problem with her sight until now (however, she's 17) but it has nothing to do with those things in her eyes.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
That is your horse's "Corpora *****" and very VERY normal. They are more noticeable on certain horses but every horse has them. They help shade the iris (pupil?) from sunlight, kind of like sunglasses. In some rare cases they can enlarge and affect your horse's eyesight but the size on your horse is just fine. :)

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh thank God.

I've never seen them before. When I saw them today I had a bit of a panic. I guess coupled with the huge adjustment he had today (his previous rider had been riding him with her own version of Rollkur) I felt awful guilty he was in so much pain even though I wasn't the one to cause it.

Thanks everyone, for your replies! I truly appreciate it! I feel a bit silly now but I'm glad I can come here for advice!

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
That is your horse's "Corpora *****" and very VERY normal. They are more noticeable on certain horses but every horse has them. They help shade the iris (pupil?) from sunlight, kind of like sunglasses. In some rare cases they can enlarge and affect your horse's eyesight but the size on your horse is just fine. :)
You saved me lots of typing.. :D Was just about to go on into this because I just learned about this about.. Last year sometime. So it was still somewhat fresh in my brain.

But yes, 100% completely normal, unless it grows too large then laser surgery needs to take place to cut back the access "cauliflower". But I doubt that won't happen.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
No worries... sometimes they look pretty wild! Like lava lamps...

Among many of my unlucky boarder encounters was an eye ulcer.. and uvitis.. Now in little medical kit I include dye strips, atropine and a couple other antibiotic eye ointments that I can use if there is any question about eyes..

I just asked a vet if I could get some of those strips and he handed me a fist full. It's a nice thing to be able to offer boarders.. They are usually greatful that you saved them a vet call and thus..... pay their board on time that month.. lol ;o)

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
No worries... sometimes they look pretty wild! Like lava lamps...

Among many of my unlucky boarder encounters was an eye ulcer.. and uvitis.. Now in little medical kit I include dye strips, atropine and a couple other antibiotic eye ointments that I can use if there is any question about eyes..

I just asked a vet if I could get some of those strips and he handed me a fist full. It's a nice thing to be able to offer boarders.. They are usually greatful that you saved them a vet call and thus..... pay their board on time that month.. lol ;o)
If you're using atropine in the eye, make sure people know it lasts for 2 weeks or more in horses. If you need to use this for an exam, please make sure the horse wears a fly mask until the dilation wears off. I'm sure we've all had our eyes dilated and know how painful it is to be in the sun without glasses on!

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Good note tealamutt! If atropine is used.. even a flymask doesn't really help shield the horse from the sun and should be put in a stall during the day and let out at night... I use a flymask whenever there is any eye issues. I don't know about it lasting 2 weeks my vet said 48 hours to wear off..

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
We just had a lecture on it, I was shocked it lasts so long. My ophthomologist told me it lasts even longer in humans but we get reversals when we have it used. I have no idea why you don't reverse horses!

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
those thingys gaurd your horses eyes from the sun. like shades. I always find they grow bigger in the sun then get smaller when were inside.i would only worry when the thing is covering the whole pupil constantly :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.