The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If the horse I have on trial I buy after a vet check.
Im looking for turn out boots that I can leave on all the time in winter, is this possible ? To leave them on all the time and clean them regulary ?

·
Registered
783 Posts
I wouldn't. Horses need time to stretch and strengthen their ligaments and tendons just as much as their muscles. Most boots don't reccommend having them on any longer then 4 hours. Why do you think your horse needs them for turn out? Is there a specific problem?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
do you mean protective boots for the horse's legs or hoof boots? if hoof boots, yes, you can turn them out in them, but be prepared to be out hunting for lost boots now and then! and daily hoof cleaning and making sure the boots are clean, dry, and fitting well is essential.

for what reason do you want boots (leg or hoof) on during turnout?

·
Registered
723 Posts
Brushing boots, over reach boots (bell boots) or actual hoof boots?

Ideally, you don't want brushing boots on all the time, it's not great for the soft tissues in the legs, and in the winter they will get wet and cold, and you can imagine it's not very nice to have freezing cold wet material wrapped around your legs 24/7. Some horses can even pull them off - one horse I worked with, Strider, had an incredible knack for pulling anything off, including double velcro brushing boots.

I know some people who leave over reach boots on all the time, but you need to be able to change them regularly so that they don't rub, and they must fit properly. I know a lot of people like the "no turn" type boots, that have a lump kinda thing that sits in the bulb of the heel to stop them turning and rubbing so much.

Really can't advise you on hoof boots, sorry!

Reactions: OliviaMyee

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks every one for the help, i wont be buying leg turnout boots but i will buy some good bell boots because he knocks him self with his feet as i have seen a small cut that was on his pastern. I thought that leg turnout boots, could be left on all the time which is why i thought that would help his mud fever on his legs. I will do research on the "No Turn" over reach bell boots.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Thanks every one for the help, i wont be buying leg turnout boots but i will buy some good bell boots because he knocks him self with his feet as i have seen a small cut that was on his pastern. I thought that leg turnout boots, could be left on all the time which is why i thought that would help his mud fever on his legs. I will do research on the "No Turn" over reach bell boots.
Yeah, unfortunately brushing boots etc. can exacerbate mud fever, as they get saturated and end up leaving the legs permanently wet, giving the bacteria an environment to thrive in.

You can however, get "chaps" for your horses legs that are designed to help prevent mud fever. I haven't any experience with them personally, but I know they are pretty much designed for Thoroughbred legs, so some people have issues with fit.

Equilibrium Equi-Chaps Close Contact Chaps | Equestrian Clearance

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.