The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Michigan, and generally my horse gets plenty fluffy enough to keep him warm. My problem is that I want to keep moisture off him, because he always seems to get rain rot. I'm not able to run back and fourth from the barn every day, so I am looking for something light weight, water proof, and something he can wear even if it's around 40 degrees. I have a thick, heavy blanket for when it gets close to 0.

He is a Michigan horse, so he's pretty well acclimated to extremely ridiculously cold weather.

He's pastured with ankle biting ponies, one cob sized trouble maker, and one adorable old man. Reno is 15'3. I'm not sure how durable of a blanket I need?

I was looking at this one: Tough-1 420 Denier Turnout Blanket 150g - Horse.com

Any help would be great :D

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
Denier is the strength of the material. The higher the denier, the tougher to rip.

The weight, also sometimes called the fill, and measured in grams (g) is how thick it is. A sheet has no fill, a lightweight has about 100 depending on the brand, a heavy can have over 300g etc. The higher the weight (the higher the g) the thicker it is. Always read the details and don't just go by "lightweight" "medium"'or whatever.

A turnout blanket is waterproof. A stable blanket is not and will get soaked through if used outdoors so your horse will be basically wrapped in a wet blanket.

If your horse goes without a blanket most of the time, then a sheet (also called a rain sheet) or lightweight will be fine. Just read the description details to find out the thickness (weight in g), durability (denier) and to be sure it's waterproof.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,363 Posts

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
Make sure the blanket is a turnout sheet (they will be waterproof- if unsure check description). You do not want a fly sheet, stable sheet, etc. Here are a couple of good ones-
Rider's International Supreme Turnout Sheet | Dover Saddlery
Rhino® Wug Lite Turnout Sheet | Dover Saddlery

Denier is the thread count (not sure if its how many threads per inch). So the higher the denier, the more threads in an area, so the stronger it will be.
I like the Rider's International blankets that were posted above. They're a bit pricier than what you posted, but you'll get your moneys worth. At least, I have... my horse has had the same blanket since I bought him, and I've only had to replace the sheet once in seven years.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.