The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wasn’t entirely certain on where to post this, but it affects my horses health, so here we go;

I have recently acquired my grandmothers property of 17 acres, with a three stall barn with a lean-to of the side of it, as well as a large 60x60 shop. We were running our family business out here for quite some time, so the drive way is heavy with very compressed rock (i.e. no loose rock). Now, the dilemma I’ve faced for years with this place is that it is have with clay so about October thru May is very very wet. We’ve tried drains and trenches, but the place is just wet and holds its water. As it is right now, my horses are turned out 24/7 – 365 days a year and I like it that way, as do they. I’m pretty against stalling my horses a majority of the day, the nights is the most I’d be comfortable with doing. So, the idea of putting up stalls in the shop is a good one, but I don’t want to keep my horses in there and I’m tired of them being housed in pretty deep mud for most of the year. So, the idea I’ve been pondering is putting up some pens on top of the hard rock drive way, it drains well and for a BONUS – it’s always dry. But, again, I feel bad for my horses standing on hard solid surface all day, with no where to roll. So, what do you all think about this idea? I was thinking of making the pens large enough for them to be able to meander around, pick up a little trot, but I was considering adding sand to part of it and leaving the rest rock? This way they have a soft spot, but a constant dry spot.

What do you all think? This is all just a very rough idea in my mind. So please no bashing – just looking for a little advice or prior experience with such a set up.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Hey, any chance you can get some pictures up of the place? And a general idea of geographical location? It would help us maybe see something you haven't yet.
I'm sure you've thought of this but, with 17 acres isn't there somewhere else on the property they can spend time and then come in at night?
Personally, as for the sand I'm not a big fan unless it's in an arena where they aren't actually living on it. I don't care for the way sand gets where you don't want it and the trouble that causes but, that's just me.
Oh, and doggone it, congratulations on getting your Grandmother's property! I have a touch of acre envy. LOL
Pictures please! :)

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I am certainly no expert in drainage and such, in Florida we get a lot of water but it drains off pretty quickly. I totally agree with 24/7 turn out, I don't have a barn just pastures with shelters.

My thought if it is feasible would be to pull out the top part of the rocky area and put in some kind of fill that would drain and provide better footing, maybe you could even put out grass seed and grow some little pastures. Maybe your local agriculture extension office could give you some ideas.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll snap some pictures after work, hopefully I have enough light when I get home! The thing is, there is 'higher' ground, but the longer I keep them there, the muckier it gets so it becomes a little redundent. I also felt, that if I could keep the off the grass most of the winter, I could reseed and have more grass to turn them out on in the summer and get my pastures healthy again.

I'll snap some pictures tonight and post them! :)

·
Registered
320 Posts
Thanks DiamondK. I know what you mean about keeping them off the grass...or should I say mud. LOL Out here our conservation guys want us to keep them off from October to May. I totally understand the reasoning and while it's really good reasoning for the grass, it totally sucks for the horse.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.