The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
I'm just going to come out and say it. . .this ^^ finger-pointing mentality drives me nuts.

Saying "the Saddlebred people do this" and "the Quarter Horse people do that" may temporarily put the focus on problems going on in other breeds, but it is doing nothing to change what is going on in the TWH breed.

The people who come to Lexington this year for the WEG will still be able to see Tennessee Walking Horses demonstrate their versatility and smoothness. It's just that the demos will be held and organized by the National Walking Horse Association, instead.

Someone stated that the National Walking Horse Association will be showing the horses in their natrual gait, without the big shoes, is this true also?

·
Registered
251 Posts
That is true. The NWHA does not allow those stacks/pads, and there are no Big Lick/performance classes offered at their shows. They are all about the naturally-gaited Walking Horse.

I think part of the reason TWHBEA lost out on the chance to represent the breed at the WEG is their apparent reluctance to really crack down on the soring. They continue to actively promote the performance classes in glossy pamphlets and videos. Who knows, maybe they really are trying to make a change for the better, but from the "outside" it doesn't seem like they're all that interested.
Well good, then I'm glad the NWHA is getting the chance to promote the breed and hopfully kill some of the negative assumptions about such a nice breed.

I agree it doesnt seem like the TWHBEA is doing as much as they should. That, and I get the understanding that a lot of the top TWHBEA horses continue to test positive for drugs that are illegal in their competitions.... but that could just me miss-information becuase I don't remember who/where I heard that from :-|.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.