1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
awwww, for some reason that brought tears to my eyes! theyre cute! and the mother looks exhausted in the picture! hope it all keeps going well! :)

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
This seems be become more and more common. There have been several twins this year that are also doing well.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
This seems be become more and more common. There have been several twins this year that are also doing well.
It is more and more common to have twin pregnancies due to bad breeding management (not doing 21 day and later confirmation so that a twin can be pinched). However, if you look at the literature there has been no increase in success rate of the foals overall. We have had 3 sets of twins so far this year, all dead, and lost one mare because of it.

This story has a cute and so far happy outcome but please don't let it fool anyone in to thinking mares should be allowed to have twin pregnancies progress!!

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
It is more and more common to have twin pregnancies due to bad breeding management (not doing 21 day and later confirmation so that a twin can be pinched). However, if you look at the literature there has been no increase in success rate of the foals overall. We have had 3 sets of twins so far this year, all dead, and lost one mare because of it.

This story has a cute and so far happy outcome but please don't let it fool anyone in to thinking mares should be allowed to have twin pregnancies progress!!
I agree that mares should be checked at 18 days and again at 28. If they have twins they should be pinched. However that does not change the fact that there are more cases of mares having twins and having viable set. There is a mare owner on HGS who has a set of twins this year and last I looked they are doing well. They would be about 2 weeks now. There are several others this year who are also doing well.

Will have to see what long term affect there are on the foals and their growth.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
They're very lucky! The filly is so cute on the live stream... dragging her little cast around (definite "awwwww" moment) ;)

And Sunny looks like a little pistol!

Gah! So cute!

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Amen!! If you're going to breed PLEASE be responsible about it.

·
Registered
16,508 Posts
Amen!! If you're going to breed PLEASE be responsible about it.
That's a nice fantasy, Ktibb. I do agree with you, BTW.

Unfortunately, people insist on breeding crap to crap because 'it's their right' and they want a 'kyoot baybee' to raise. We have more than a few of these people right here on this BB, I'm sorry to say.

Doesn't matter that the mare and stallion have nothing going for them except working genitals.

And God forbid their grade mare they bred to the neighbor's crap stallion gets any prenatal care, 'cause that costs money!

Twins aren't rare people, they're undesirable in horses. Which is why you have ultrasounds done and pinch the second fetus if one is present.

Even the attending vet said these foals only have a 1 in 15,000 chance of surviving. Pretty crummy odds, and even if they do make it, chances are they'll be useless for anything other than 'looking pwetty' out in the pasture.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts

Unfortunately, people insist on breeding crap to crap because 'it's their right' and they want a 'kyoot baybee' to raise. We have more than a few of these people right here on this BB, I'm sorry to say.

Doesn't matter that the mare and stallion have nothing going for them except working genitals.

And God forbid their grade mare they bred to the neighbor's crap stallion gets any prenatal care, 'cause that costs money!

Twins aren't rare people, they're undesirable in horses. Which is why you have ultrasounds done and pinch the second fetus if one is present.

Even the attending vet said these foals only have a 1 in 15,000 chance of surviving. Pretty crummy odds, and even if they do make it, chances are they'll be useless for anything other than 'looking pwetty' out in the pasture.

This is so true. At my old barn they were breeding this paint stud to every mare there. I know for sure one is pregnant (interested to see the foal - two nice paints). But the fact is that is so irresponsible. The one girl keeps getting horses from the auction - actually both the stud and the paint mare were from the auction. They already have one 18 month old that no one does anything with and now they want more babies? Its crazy and for sure that horse is getting no special care at all. This is the place that I adopted Hunter from because he wasn't being properly cared for as a growing boy. This just frustrates me to no end. Just sad really, aren't there enough horses out there needing homes with out adding to them?

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Yes, sad but true. The good breeders out there are breeding less and the byb are running rampant.

And yes, even tho the babies are alive today, it does not mean they'll make it.

The only thing you forgot to mention as far a reasons to breed crap to crap is color! Doesn't a pweety color override any and all conformation/health/temperment faults??:lol:

·
Registered
16,508 Posts
The only thing you forgot to mention as far a reasons to breed crap to crap is color! Doesn't a pweety color override any and all conformation/health/temperment faults??:lol:

Well, duh! :wink:

It's a purty color, so that makes it triple super duper breeding worthy!

Never mind that its legs are crooked from the knees down, has a history of laminitis, is evil as the day is long, has a weak loin, long back, straight shoulder, short neck, upright pasterns, piggy little eyes, horrible parrot mouth, and a head that looks like a dented bucket.

Did I mention it was a purty color? :p

·
Registered
33 Posts
There so little and cute!!

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
One of my QH's was a twin; his brother didn't survive though. My boy, however, grew up and was a very productive show horse...so if these guys do survive, I don't think they necessarily will just be good enough for 'pasture pets'...it will depend on the horse, of course, and how much athleticism he will have, and how many health problems he may face, but I was greatful for my "twin survivor" and he was very athletic, and very competitive.

These two are very nice looking babies...love all the chrome...

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, duh! :wink:

It's a purty color, so that makes it triple super duper breeding worthy!

Never mind that its legs are crooked from the knees down, has a history of laminitis, is evil as the day is long, has a weak loin, long back, straight shoulder, short neck, upright pasterns, piggy little eyes, horrible parrot mouth, and a head that looks like a dented bucket.

Did I mention it was a purty color? :p
Ok, now that was just totally uncalled for! How am I supposed to keep a straight face when I read this at work!:lol:

Great (er terrible?) visual...!

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
Very cute little things. I personally would never ever slow a mare that I had bred to carry twins, one would be rid of early out, but to each his own I guess, I just don't see the logic in risking 3 lives for one that will probably cause 2 of the three lives to be miserable due to deformation...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts