The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16,508 Posts
It's not rare for a mare to be pregnant with twins but it's dangerous for her to carry twins, which is why ultrasounds are so very important. For the mare and future foal's health, one of them needs to be pinched.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
It's not rare for a mare to be pregnant with twins but it's dangerous for her to carry twins, which is why ultrasounds are so very important. For the mare and future foal's health, one of them needs to be pinched.
Yes, that's what I meant by rare.. :? In the video it sounded as though she didn't know she was carrying twins.. If I had a pregnant mare I'd make it a priority to keep a close eye on this.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
A lot of the risk of having twins is in both delivery and in the days after the birth. Twins are not terribly uncommon or unheard of in cattle, but cattle are a lot less delicate than horses. Horse twins are often very small and can have some serious immune issues. They for whatever reason, tend to be a bit weaker (probably in part due to their small size) which means for them to get up and nurse is a big event. If the foals are not up and nursing with a maximum of four hours they don't have an immune system. Which is bad news bears for the babies.

There are folks who do not ultrasound for twins. Which means they don't catch and pinch twins. A number of mares who conceive twins will actually abort or reabsorb both fetuses. Its those mares that don't abort the fetus and are not ultrasounded that result in the live birth of twins.

·
Banned
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would love to know what become of these foals, how they grew up

·
Registered
290 Posts
im a member of a foal club page on facebook and this year there where 3 sets of twins born from 3 different people which surprised me i thought they were a lot less common well to both be born healthy anyway. My mare had her 14 day scan a few weeks back now she had twins which surprised me but were plain as day to see on the scanner. Anyway we got one popped just 2 many risks in my opinion to go through with a twin pregnancy though ive heard sometimes they can be missed on scans.

·
Registered
281 Posts
About two years ago an ultrasound showed that my mare was carrying twins. We tried to pinch one of them out, but sadly they were too close together and we lost both fetus. Which was very unpleasent because I paid a fortune (at least at the time it was a fortune for me) to breed her to that stallion (who btw was sold to California couple months ago, and I guess that the fact that someone in USA bought him from Europe, Latvia, is a proof of his quality).

Anyway - I personaly know 3 horses, who were twins - all of them are smaller than they should be, but any other way they are healthy, except one mare that is infertile. This year I heard story about twin foal being born somewhere in my country. They survived and are also healthy.

But, if I had a mare pregnant with twins now, I would definatly choose to end pregnancy or pinch one out. That is too risky, there is too slight chance that your foals will survive.

·
Registered
7,135 Posts
smaile, didn't you get a live foal guarantee on the Stud? I understand that is pretty common. After all, the FOAL is the proof of the worth of the stud. Secretariat, for instance, though from great Racehorse stock, didn't produce winning colts or fillies, and most ended up becoming sports horses.

·
Registered
281 Posts
No, I didn`t. It all depends on what deal do you have with stallions owner - I know that sometimes breeders doesn`t pay breeding fee until they have a positive ultrasound that shows that mare is pregnant (don`t know how it works if you have twins), but in may cases people doesn`t have this kind of arangement. And since it was my first ever time breeding, I never even thought of suggesting something like that.
It all worked out though and I have even better foal from this particular mare.

Speaking of stallion`s quality - true, sometimes even the greatest sport horses doesn`t give their talents to offsprings. In this case though all Kadilak`s childrens are very talented - they have nice movements, one of them is used in amateur dressage, and all of them has wonderful jump. I`ve been riding his childrens for a while and at the moment my only serious competition horse is his 5 y.o. gelding whose accuracy in jumping is unbelievable. :)

·
Registered
976 Posts
Off topic but secretariat was a good producer. He had so much pressure on him to breed the next superhorses that even his kids who would've been great horses were considered less than simply because of his high expectations at stud. He's also known for being a GREAT dam sire. His daughters produce wonderful runners generally.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
So far I've seen twins that resulted in two dead foals, one dead foal, and the first I'd ever seen (took a trip with the 4h club) were both alive and healthy, arabians, chestnut filly and bay colt. No special care needed, both normal sized babies. But yes it's definitely rare to have a good out come. Most times one or both babies are undersized and need round the clock care for the first few weeks, the two I knew where one died and one lived, they were both tiny, needed to be lifted to nurse, I saw the survivor when he was a couple years old, he was still small for his age (his name was Giant), haven't seen him since, so no idea how he turned out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.