Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

So I am going to start jumping a horse I lease, his name is Twister, so I wanted to start a thread for it!
I am looking for flat and ground work exercises and ideas or patterns!

A little bit about me and Twister;
Twister is a Quarter Horse Mustang mix, his owner is all for me jumping Twister! He has great training in western, but is newer to English.
I am currently in search for a jumping trainer, but I am still allowed to jump him, his owner (I will just call her Ann because I don't want to use her name) Ann, says that even though I don't have a trainer Twister and I can teach each other a lot, that's what she said.
Back on Twister: he has a VERY willing heart! He will literally do anything with a happy heart!
He enjoys jumping, but I need to do more ground work before I jump higher then a foot.
I am going to make a video every time I jump him (if I can) so people to see his progress and help me if I am doing something wrong.
I am always willing to listen to peoples help, but please be kind about it!

So when I go out to ride him tomorrow, I will get a video and post it!

So if anyone wants to join this thread and help me and Twister, I would be so thankful!
This isn't my first time jumping, but I'm newer to it, but Ann knows that and still is encouraging me to jump Twister, like I said earlier, she said we can teach each other a lot.

But I am doing lots of flat work and ground work before I jump in the saddle too much!

ANY Ground work exercise and flat work exercise suggestions or ideas would be AWESOME! Thanks all! :p

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Good on you for doing ground work and flat work. I'd stick with that until you have a jumping trainer, being as you're newer to jumping and so is he.

Poles are going to be your best friend, even if he can do SOME jumping already, never discount poles on the ground. Set them up as 'lines' with 5-6 strides in between and work on getting a nice balanced canter over them. When you can get five canter strides between poles set for five then you can work on shortening and lengthening the stride to get four strides or six strides between poles set on a five.

Similarly you could set up bounce poles (no strides in between the poles). Work on them flat first in a straight line until you can maintain a balanced canter through a line of bounce poles. Once that is easy for you consider raising them slightly. My coach likes to use standards set at about six inches and raise one side of each pole (so the first is raised on the right, the second is raised on the left, etc) but again only a couple of inches.

Work on balanced circles, try to keep your horse soft in the bridle through walk/trot transitions on a circle and then through trot/canter transitions on a circle, and then add in some poles. One to four, depending on ability. Count your strides between each pole, aim for the center of each pole and maintain a balanced canter around your circle. You could also set up bounce poles on a circle like this:

And then, once you can do all of those exercises, set up a 'course' of poles. I know it seems boring when you just want to JUMP but with a horse that's new to the sport what you want is a good foundation so you're not overwhelming them and you're setting him up for success instead of failure.

For yourself I suggest working on two point on the flat until you can walk / trot / canter a few laps around the ring in a steady two point (without balancing on his mouth) and practise giving a 'release' over the poles or going into two point over the poles like you would a jump. This way, when you find a jumping trainer you'll be totally prepared and ready to jump. You could also take video of your flat work to show to your coach so he or she knows what you've already done.

When and if you are ready to start jumping before you find a trainer, remember that single fences can be bad for a horses learning. I suggest setting up a one stride or a two stride where the first "jump" is a pole on the ground and the second is a small cross rail. Trot in or if you canter in do not even attempt the jump unless you're completely balanced. I know it sounds like a lot of fun to rush into it all, but without the proper foundation you could run into a lot of problem!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.