Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!
I just bought a filly, she'll be three in July. I need to get a picture of her on here! She is adorable - black AQHA with two little socks in the back and a big star. I call her Nicky. Nicky is very different then any other horse I have ever had, or even dealt with, really. For one, she is very young and not saddle broke. For two, she is like.. ubber calm and seems quite innocent. Nicky is bred to be a pleasure horse, and I have been training/riding a very energetic, bred to work and run gaming/drill horse! I like the horses that like to go, that enjoy and see a point in being exercised. My old mare thought that work was fun, but Nicky would rather stand and look pretty all day or walk very slow. I understand that she doesn't want to work very hard - I have accepted that she wont be like my old mare, and I am kind of excited to try reining with her, but the last couple of days, her true colors have started to shine through!!

I have a few questions... So, first, she is about 14.2 hands at the withers but is still a few inches higher in the back. She is growing, for sure, but I wanted some opinions on when I should start riding her? I have jumped on her and walked her around for five minutes and she did fine, she has been saddles and on trails and knows the basics but I dont want to hurt her. She seems like she is growing slowly, but I did ask someone and they said that although she will even out a little, she will never be completely evened out. Sad! But who knows! Do you think riding her very lightly before she is three would be a big issue?

Secondly, when I am lunging Nicky, and I ask her to canter on the left lead, she sometimes will just kick out .. but towards me. It is not just a buck, I feel disrespect. It happens the same way every time, when i ask her to canter, and being that she is lazy and would prefer not to, she thinks its okay to kick out at me! I dont let her get away with it, I have been stopping her and making her back up with a loud firm voice and then asking her again and again until she doesnt kick. Is that what I should be doing?

Thirdly.. and MOST importantly, Nicky reared up and FLIPPED OVER last night!! When I ask her to back up or pivot or get into her face or something, basically back to her laziness, she has just barely hopped up maybe two inches before and but never reared up completely. Then all of the sudden last night, I cant even remember exactly what happened, but there was NO reason for her to rear up or even be scared, or else I would have remembered the situation better, but she reared ALL the way up, and fell straight on her back. It was the weirdest thing ever! You know when horses rear up, they usually like swing their legs around and atleast try to keep there balance? Nope, not her, it looked like someone just lifted her up and pushed her over. No resisting, no attempt to stay up or come back on all fours, she just flipped right over. I was like in shock. And sooo angry. I tried not to take it out on her, but I did react fast. After she got up, I made her run, run run on the lunge line, switch directions and the back back back up. She got the idea that it was a bad thing, for sure.

I got home and I was just thinking that she must have some guts!!! She looks and acts to innocent and then will just flip out randomly. I remember a lady was training a horse like that, it was like she had two personalities. It is very scary. I need to figure out how to make her know it is NOT okay because when I start riding her, I dont want her to randomly do that again. Please help me!!

Brittany and Nicky.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
I would lether just bea horse for a couple more months, put her with othe rhorses, I had to do that with mine and I started working again with her when she came back from just being a horse. at 2 there brains cant hold alot of stuff, i would do 10 minutes of ground work and then spend 15/30 minutes grooming her and put her back out. I would do this every other day and somtimes just lether out in the arena to play and I would join up with her. Tak ethings really slow and lether be a young horse. Thats the best i did with my mare and she is doing so great now, almost 4 years old and seeking to learn, can handle 30 minute work outs under saddle and I just dont puch her at all, unless its somthing I feel we can work through and end on a good positve note. Good luck!

·
Registered
144 Posts
we got my horse when he was 5 and he had never been professionally trained. so we sent him off to boot camp for a month to get trained! when he came back he was a brand new horse! i had to lunge him before riding so he knew who was boss. so maybe sending Nicky to get trained for a month would do some good to her!

as for riding under 3, ehh. it might be okay as long as you only ride for 10-15 minute sessions and you lunge her before and end on a good note.

to deal with her laziness and not doing what you ask. get a long whip, don't swing it at her. when your lunging her, keep the whip near her hindquarters, so when you ask her to canter and she refuses, whip it in the air so she knows to run.

hope it helped?

xD

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
You need to get a trainer. You might not think your horse had a reason to rear and flip over but she sure didn't do it for fun. You don't seem to have the experience to do this on your own. If you want to do reining with her then you would need a trainer anyway so get one to start her for you. She is not RANDOMLY doing it. There is a very good reason that she's doing it. A symptom of your inexperience is that you are missing what is causing it. She is rearing because her emotions are running away with her. She needs to be taught that she can move her feet. Don't get angry with an untrained horse acting like an untrained horse.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
I agree, when I got Klassy she had been ina stall for 8 months barly handled and thot she was likea lap dog ad wuld walk all over you. now you couldnt get mad cause she hadnt been taught any different and just got away with it. while at pasture Klassy and I had some lessons with someone who taught me some ways to work with asking for more space and respect, we did this once a week for about 6 weeks. I didnt know how to start my own horse but have been riding all my life, this was new to me so I wanted to know how to work with her. now I can use bodey laungue to ask her to move any part of her bodey away from me at liberty and itsa great feeling to trust her.

·
Registered
23,642 Posts
You need to get a trainer. You might not think your horse had a reason to rear and flip over but she sure didn't do it for fun. You don't seem to have the experience to do this on your own. If you want to do reining with her then you would need a trainer anyway so get one to start her for you. She is not RANDOMLY doing it. There is a very good reason that she's doing it. A symptom of your inexperience is that you are missing what is causing it. She is rearing because her emotions are running away with her. She needs to be taught that she can move her feet. Don't get angry with an untrained horse acting like an untrained horse.
This. For a horse to rear and flip, there must have been some stimulus for her to react that way.
Personally, I don't like to start a horse till they're 3, and then it's light work for 6 months, then I like to chuck them out till they're 4. This is my preference, others might tell you differently.
I would strongly suggest working with a trainer. This doesn't mean that you have to send the horse away for training, but rather find a trainer that will work with you both, so you both learn.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys!

I really want to get defensive about you saying that I am inexperienced. I understand that I may not be the smartest MOST experienced person but I have delt with a lot of problem horses and I do understand horse language. I know that she is not doing it randomly. Excuse my poor choice of words. She is a shy horse, and easily feared. I may be over cueing her, or under cueing her when she tries to test me. I have been reading about reasons why horses rear. Everything I read was common sense - I had already thought about it, and heard it before. I dont want to be defensive, because getting a trainer would probably be helpful but I think that you dont really know me and you should not jump to conclusions. I am guessing, after research and talking to a few different people at my barn, and then reflecting on her behavior, that she is probably testing me, and is probably not respecting me. She does not have complete faith and trust in me. I just bought her two weeks ago, and although she has come along with in trusting me, there are only starting out. She may be rearing as a reflex to feeling boxed in. I know that she is not rearing becuase she is in pain and she is not rearing to intentionally hurting me. I honestly feel that because she is rearing, or acting out in other ways such as kicking out, that we need to gain that trust.

I was asking someone about rearing and was to prevent it. - she told me that although rearing is a bad thing and dangerous, sometimes once horses go over, they wont try it again because now they know it hurts. Any comments?

I bought a saddle for her and I am going to start doing more ground work with more tack and then start doing more ground driving, but if I do start riding, it will be short sessions. I dont want to hurt her now or have long term affects - number one priority!

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
So how long have you been riding and how many horses have you started?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I wouldnt compare Nicky to an untrained horse, or a lap dog. The previous owner has done a ton of ground work on her. She actually knows a LOT for her age. She is a pretty smart girl, and from day one when i came to visit her for the first time, the lady told me that she tests you and will fight you until she learns to respect you and know whos boss. She is not untrained. She knows better then this. She knows what I want, and I do have experience working with trainers on ground work. My old gelding was the most disrespectful thing in the world, and a trainer at my barn showed me how to gain that respect. That is different then a young filly, but I wont give her that much slack. I have been working her every day lunging for short sessions and has never been like that. I am pretty sure that it was me being to pushy or she might have gotten fed up - she is young, her attention span isnt the longest and her patience isnt too great either.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I started riding when I was 11. I am 19 in three weeks.
I have never ridden a perfectly, or nearly perfect horse. I took riding lessons for years before I got my first horse. My cousin also taught me how to ride very well, - she taught me the hard way. She through me on a 4 year old Morgan/AQHA gelding with a big atittude! He was green. I showed him in 4-h and trained him throughout the summer with her and he moms help. I then got my first horse at age 13. He was a 20 year old APHA gelding - had been a stud for 14 years. My step mom owned him and then gave him to me when she got pregnant. She was not very experience and only rode him on trails for yearrrs. When I got him I wanted more - I wanted to show, so a trainer at my barn helped me out with him. Although he was broke, She taught me how to gain respect, a lot about horse body language and how to "speak" to them that way, she taught me how to lunge and do other things on the ground. She taught me how to fix lead problems, hard headedness, bucking, and much more. I sold him and got out of horses for a year or so. I then bought a six year old veryyy spazzy mare. They sold her as "green broke" but I wouldnt even consider her green. Someone had thrown a saddle on her and kicked her, making her RUNN and thats it. I would say that I started her. I started back on the ground for MONTHS. she had other problems too - being abused, head shy, ahving NO balance - her feet were everywhere, she couldnt even walk a straight line. she had no respect, would pull me around. I rememember crying. She was so stubborn and was so fearful. I trained her for about a year and then she did drill team for a year with me! After two years, I started college and sent her out on a lease. A 15 year old girl is doing equestian team with her and successfully gaming her as well.

I bought Nicky because I was missing something in life. My parents have NEVER been involved in my horsey addiction. They never helped their 16 year old daught pay for board, hay and would never think about taking my to shows etc, so training has become my passion.

·
Banned
1,901 Posts
. They never helped their 16 year old daught pay for board, hay and would never think about taking my to shows etc, so training has become my passion.
Pff, lucky you! I don't even get that much out of them. Everything my horse needs I pay for it myself, or he doesn't get it....then again, I'll be 20 in August.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I said the DONT help me. The day I said I was buying a horse they said, you better make sure you can afford it! I wont be paying ONE PENNY. Nicky is my SECOND horse I have paid for completely on my own. And I am only 18. 19 in a few weeks.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
So by my count you have ridden 4 horses and most and all but your current horse had been ridden before. That is inexperienced. You may be able to sneak enough rides on your mare that she will start to fill in for you but she may not and you run the risk of ruining her. There is nothing wrong with being inexperienced but you need to know your limits. Horses are not hardheaded or stubborn. If they are not doing what you ask it's because they don't understand what you are asking. Learn how to ask properly and they will say yes.

·
Banned
1,901 Posts
No need to get snippy, I just misread something. These things happen.

I also agree with Kevin. You might be experienced riding, but not experienced in training....I also noticed you had two other threads other than this one up about fixing things in your horse. Find a trainer who can work with you while you work with your horse, instead of sending him away if you want to be the one training him. You'll both learn, you won't get hurt, and your horse won't end up being someone elses issue after you break a leg or something.

·
Registered
23,642 Posts
It is a foal's nature to test the boundaries - but in the herd, the behaviors are quickly shut down by their elders. By allowing her to get frisky and test your boundaries without consequence, you have allowed her to think "I'm alpha horse over you!" This is very dangerous, and needs to be nipped in the bud, pronto.
Dealing with a young horse who doesn't know better is not like dealing with an older horse, period. They have different mentalities.

I was asking someone about rearing and was to prevent it. - she told me that although rearing is a bad thing and dangerous, sometimes once horses go over, they wont try it again because now they know it hurts. Any comments?
Some will scare themselves, some won't. Bottom line is that flipping themselves over is not a cure - horses that rear can and will do it until they are taught not to. I am willing to bet dollars to doughnuts that most trainers would prefer to deal with a chronic bucker than a chronic rearer. Especially one that's known to flip.

Please, for your sake and the horse's, find yourself an accredited trainer.
I know that she is not rearing becuase she is in pain and she is not rearing to intentionally hurting me. I honestly feel that because she is rearing, or acting out in other ways such as kicking out, that we need to gain that trust.
Perhaps not, but she IS trying to show her dominance over you - this can get VERY dangerous, very quick.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks everyone. And I probably did sound a bit rude a few times and I apologize to everyone.. ya'll are just trying to help. I better get going to work though, so I will write back later. Thanks again!

·
Registered
251 Posts
I said the DONT help me. The day I said I was buying a horse they said, you better make sure you can afford it! I wont be paying ONE PENNY. Nicky is my SECOND horse I have paid for completely on my own. And I am only 18. 19 in a few weeks.
This is what I would do:

First, grow up. We all pay for things ourselves, and we all have difficulties to overcome. I do not partake in pity parties. For goodness sakes your 18

Find a trainer to take you under their wing, from reading your posts I can tell you have HUGE holes in your foundation and its so evident to everyone else too.

Slow down and do some ground work, because obviously your horse suffers from a lack of it.

Learn to be more grammatically correct and work on your writing skills. People are more likely to help those that do not sound childish and those who put a little effort into complete sentences and correctly formed paragraphs. Always remember, they invented spell check for a reason. Again, for goodness sakes your 18!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Oh I will so disagree with that.

Horses can be hugely stubborn.
If you ask them the right way they are never stubborn. :wink:

Edit to add: And there is a big difference between stubborn and uneducated.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.