The Horse Forum banner

41 - 60 of 170 Posts

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
It's interesting what one thinks is a good looking horse. I would call the buckskin below average looking and no way would I travel to see a horse off those photos. A current video is a must. He looks like he has not been ridden properly and developing the wrong muscles
Developing the right muscles is an easy fix though.

Tomato tohmahto... lol

·
Registered
964 Posts
It's interesting what one thinks is a good looking horse. I would call the buckskin below average looking and no way would I travel to see a horse off those photos. A current video is a must. He looks like he has not been ridden properly and developing the wrong muscles
I notice that a lot with gaited horses, I wonder if it's just them (I'm no expert on them but I do love the way they feel when riding them).

·
Registered
12,001 Posts
Didn't super look at the more recent additions but I like Scout!! Assuming your fiancee fits him he sounds great. Much more reasonably priced, and super cute and has that look that he could do anything and be fun.

·
Registered
12,001 Posts
I notice that a lot with gaited horses, I wonder if it's just them (I'm no expert on them but I do love the way they feel when riding them).
Unfortunately I'm not horse shopping lol!

Re "hollowness" a lot of them do have a conformation prone to hollowness, and therefore the rider must make a point of riding correctly. An equal issue is many riders are the stereotypical redneck (youtube"gaited horse breed here" and then take your pick of many of the videos, mostly the speed ones too :/) OR the big lick type which isn't much better in that regard. Then your average joe blow either assumes that's how they're supposed to be ridden or doesn't know any better. Again, without specifically knowing they are prone to moving like that anyways so you need to make a point to train them otherwise. Also IM(limited)E the easiest way to gait is to push a horse into your hands, almost as if collection (maybe even collecting slightly), and as you know (o/t but an equal and related issue) false collection is very easily obtained, therefore reinforcing the hollowness.

·
Registered
6,082 Posts
It is very common for gaited horses to be ridden inverted. Not sure why the gaited people ride this way but you see it in all breeds.

·
Registered
6,082 Posts
Unfortunately I'm not horse shopping lol!

Re "hollowness" a lot of them do have a conformation prone to hollowness, and therefore the rider must make a point of riding correctly. An equal issue is many riders are the stereotypical redneck (youtube"gaited horse breed here" and then take your pick of many of the videos, mostly the speed ones too :/) OR the big lick type which isn't much better in that regard. Then your average joe blow either assumes that's how they're supposed to be ridden or doesn't know any better. Again, without specifically knowing they are prone to moving like that anyways so you need to make a point to train them otherwise. Also IM(limited)E the easiest way to gait is to push a horse into your hands, almost as if collection (maybe even collecting slightly), and as you know (o/t but an equal and related issue) false collection is very easily obtained, therefore reinforcing the hollowness.
You are on the right track and yes they can and should be ridden classically with collection.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
It is very common for gaited horses to be ridden inverted. Not sure why the gaited people ride this way but you see it in all breeds.
But, not all do so, at least not where I live. The breeders I bought my Fox Trotter from trained all of their horses to use their hind quarters, round their backs and give to the bit, they basically used their seat and legs and not the bit so much. I really do not know any gaited people who ride their horses "inverted".... maybe it is something that depends on where one lives and the trends and trainers in that area.

·
Registered
5,290 Posts
I have seen it and its somewhat painful. If my fiance tries to ride like that his "TB" will do a running walk (saw the horse sometimes gaiting and told him to ride like that to see what happens, lo and behold that gelding does a running walk 0.0). Some people train them to gaite like that. Some people dont do it to the extreme but i have seen it plenty of times.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
I'm unsure about people trying to "train" a horse to gait. The horses I know are all naturally gaited, and gait as foals.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Well Scout is out. Asked for more pics and if possible a video...since hes 3 1/2 hrs away. She said she didn't have time to do that for a horse at his price point

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Oh wow, that was really rude of Scout's owner to say that. I agree, I'd check him off the list too. That's really sad.

·
Registered
12,001 Posts
But, not all do so, at least not where I live. The breeders I bought my Fox Trotter from trained all of their horses to use their hind quarters, round their backs and give to the bit, they basically used their seat and legs and not the bit so much. I really do not know any gaited people who ride their horses "inverted".... maybe it is something that depends on where one lives and the trends and trainers in that area.
I'm glad it is not common in your area but it IS an overwhelming trend with the type of horse. As seen by a quick google or youtube search. Doesn't need to be but it is.

·
Registered
526 Posts
What page are the new choices on? LOL. I came to the last page to respond about Tony and Dotsun but I guess we are onto different horses?

41 - 60 of 170 Posts