The Horse Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First question: How do you brush rain rot? A horse at my barn has it and I was grooming him and I was trying to be gentle with it because it looked painful. Chunks of fur were coming off. I also brushed M-T-G into it. Is it okay to be rougher with it? My trainer said it was itchy for the horse so maybe it would feel good to the horse.

Second question: What's the best way to get wet mud off of a horse with a brush? I was using a metal curry comb but it didn't seem to work too well.

Any suggestions are appreciated. I expect to be using the horse with rain rot again the next lesson and he gets mud all over him. Hey, it's winter time in a muddy field that has took the life of my poor, poor rain boots.

·
Super Moderator
11,609 Posts
Water is the best for wet mud or a towel if cold.

Be aware that MTG can burn some horss that are sensitive to it. All the brushes and tools that you used also need disinfecting before it is spread to another horse.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Yeah, fur should come off when brushing with MTG. That's it's purpose. To remove/loosen scabs. So after the MTG has worked its job, it will loosen the scabs/fur, and it will come out. You just gotta be careful that you don't overuse the MTG.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts