The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, within the last two months my horse has picked up three or more ticks. I am stumped as to what they are and why they are on her in January and March! There are no trees in her paddock and all the grass is covered by snow. I can't find any pictures if the same tick either. All the ticks I have found on her are the same but I can't find any on the internet either. I live in Northern Ontario so I know that she has a risk of getting them, but in the winter?

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Shadow Puppet, not sure how your horses are kept, but if they are able to go near trees, or any brush, snow or not, they can get ticks that may be there. Also, ticks can hitch a ride on mice, and into the barn they go.

They have become a bit of a problem down here in Maine, and Lyme disease is becoming diagnosed more often. I've become quite adept at removing any off my horses, as well as searching for them.

Most of the ones I've found are wood ticks, so I'm not too worried yet. Hope you can find out what kind they are, maybe bring one into your vets office?

·
Registered
6,030 Posts
Only two???

[I'm sorry. Couldn't resist since we find them by the dozens.]

You can get ticks in hay. Your horse can get them from dogs or wildlife. Deer are real bad to carry them around here. I have seen deer so covered up with them that you could see them all over them (like hundreds of them) this time of year. Coyotes and dogs can get the same way. Ticks winter over. The new crop of them appears here in early April and the tiny 'seed ticks' appear in July, but in the winter, they are last year's crop and they winter over and do quite well if they have a host.

·
Registered
15,174 Posts
More than likely winter ticks (google it, has a weath of info). The horse picks them up in the fall, they hatch when the weather warms up. They don't carry lyme disease and they don't like humans. Rare for them to go from horse to horse as well. Worm your horse with ivermectin, they will all die within a day.

·
Registered
8,362 Posts
wow, that is stange...cold weather ticks, spooky! I never saw a tick on my horses until the 1st time I took them back east (US). :shock: I was soooo upset, I wanted to take them home (southwest) right then! But, a gentleman showed me listerine backs them out ... it works! I got over it..sort of...and got them off. ugh. They give me the eb-gb's.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Ya, the first time I found a tick on one of my horses, I think I almost had a melt down of heebeejeebees!

Is it sick that I like going on "tick safaris" now?

·
Registered
15,174 Posts
First time I saw one, I pulled it off the horse, it was all fat with blood. I squished it & got an eyeful of horse blood. Wanna know I googled that in record time, thought I was gonna have lyme disease in my eye!!! Then I found out about the winter ticks & the ivermectin. Was only on my old horse, prolly cuz he was lower to the ground (that's how they pick them up, off tall grass) and he didn't move around as much.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.