The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a way to tie a horse with reigns up to a post, pole, loop etc. i think i figured it out but is there a certain way to do it?

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok im not good with knot names but it may be that, what ever it is, its strong and i can pull it back leaning on the and it wont move.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
I was taught never to tie a horse by the reins incase they spook so they won't hurt their mouth, but that might just be the ranch where we couldn't afford to have it fixed, we always tie horses by lead ropes that are tie to bailing twine attache to the fence so it's easy for them to break away when spooked (I'm making it sound like our horses spook alot, they don't we're just cautious)

·
Registered
185 Posts
I was also told multiple places to never ever tie with the reigns. If the horse spooks it can cause damage to the mouth. Even if it's not a major spook, just a quick jerk of the head of a hard couple steps back will do. I have seen it happen in person and it wasn't pretty even though the bit was a fairly mild one.

If I need to tie I take the bridle off to put on a halter or just leave one on under the bridle.

·
Registered
7,222 Posts
I third not tying with reins, unless its ground tying. And only then if you'll be gone for a short time and the horse is well trained to release itself and hold still.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Never tie a horse with the reins.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I ride with a hackmore bridle so there's no bit so if your horse is well behaved, use one of these bridles. I personally like them better that bits because bits hurt the horses mouth. You can tie them to a post with the reins and it obviously wont hurt their mouth.

·
Registered
7,135 Posts
NEVER tie up by the reins. There are numerous ways to tie if you ride without a halter and lead underneath the bridle. You can take a rope with you and loop it around the horse's neck and then tie with it. They make halter/bridle combinations so that you can tie that way.
http://www.statelinetack.com/Search.aspx?query=halter%20bridle%20combination
I ALWAYS trail ride with a halter and bridle, but you can take those with you and halter OVER the bridle and tie.
Tying with a bit is dangerous bc if you horse panics--and we know SO MANY who haven't been trained to tie quietly--you can permanently damage their mouths.
You can also damage the cartilage on the nose if you tie with a hackamore bc the hacamore is adjusted to fit and be snug, whereas a halter can move around, and many halters have a double buckle breakaway crownpiece made of leather.
People have watched TOO MANY WESTERNS where the Dude rides it and ties his horse with one rein to a hitching post, and THIS is where this stupid idea originates. The other STUPID idea is that you can tie to a horizontal post--always tie to a vertical post.
Please don't do this.

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Reins. No g in the word as pertaining to part of bridle.

Expensive to fix or replace. Best to tie with lead rope and halter.

As for the Westerns and horses being tied like that to a hitching post. It is done that way and shown that way because it was done that way. All day long.

Difference is those horses tied up had been worked, and were tired and were less likely to act like a village idiot.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
I ride with a hackmore bridle so there's no bit so if your horse is well behaved, use one of these bridles. I personally like them better that bits because bits hurt the horses mouth. You can tie them to a post with the reins and it obviously wont hurt their mouth.
I would still not tie a horse with any sort of mechanical hackamore or any side pull that squeeze the nose or face with pressure. Their nose could easily be broken by hackamores. Depending on the make and model of it some bitless options are even stronger than a mild bit.

If I'm on a trail or in a situations where I'll need to tie my horse I always either carry a halter with me or have it on under his bridle.

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
Not only you should not tie by the reins, as others already explained, you also should not tie by a rope halter. Those things don't break and, in case the horse freaks out, they can pose a serious risk of injury.

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
I'm a fairly new rider and just got a really good scolding today for tying my horse up by the reins to quickly go into the shed to retrieve my helmet.
Just an aside... the real lesson to take away from this (and remember) is to never be in a rush or take shortcuts when dealing with a horse. When you do, eventually you or the horse will be injured. Safety always comes first.

Reactions: zialov

·
Super Moderator
10,814 Posts
Besides, on those old westerns, there were many crew persons nearby just out of camera shot in case something happened. It wouldn't have been real interesting if they had shot the actors switching to halters and lead ropes or calling a crew member over to "come hold my horse while I run into this bar and shoot the bad guy real quick." lol

I've wondered what footage would be available if those old movies had kept bloopers and such like some movies do now.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.